VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Excellent van, looking to get a similar but one question, why did you go for a Kombi spec if you are stripping out the seats? Why not just buy a van and put in Windows? (Genuine question as I am looking at Reimo bed to have flexibility)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Excellent van, looking to get a similar but one question, why did you go for a Kombi spec if you are stripping out the seats? Why not just buy a van and put in Windows? (Genuine question as I am looking at Reimo bed to have flexibility)
Well on the surface of it you do get a few things that would be extras on a PV such as the front seats, side windows, glazed tailgate with wiper and so on. I got a good price for the seats and floor which helps.

Underneath however there are a few more subtle differences. The rear structure is stiffer for the extra passenger seating and up front there is better sound deadening. I am not sure of of the details but Kombis are built on the same production line as Calis and Vels rather than PVs presumably because of the extra details.

BTW High Wycombe! Went to college at what was HWCTA and lived at the top of Amersham hill when we got married way back when :D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This week I collected our RIB seat from Uberbus. I do like the locking mechanisms. Cant wait (but will have to) to get it fitted!

I also spent yesterday with Jason and Noel @ Absolut5 while they fitted a Pioneer Avic. At least I can play with that now :D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh dear there may be a slight delay to our plans :eek:

I had heart attack on Saturday so activities will be curtailed for a few weeks :(

No chance of sneaking anything bye - senior management will see to that ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,032 Posts
I do hope you have a speedy recovery T: did they say what might have caused it or don't they know yet :* take it easy for a few weeks as it's Xmas anyway and you can play with the van next year.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I do hope you have a speedy recovery T: did they say what might have caused it or don't they know yet :* take it easy for a few weeks as it's Xmas anyway and you can play with the van next year.
Tempus Fugit and all the usual. The one dodgy artery and clot was all that there was so they vacuumed it and put a stent in. I am lucky that we recognised the symptoms and were able to act quickly. I:

Taking it easy is the plan. I said to Mrs VB "so we have to moderate the vino a bit - does that mean I can buy more expensive bottles" :D

Frustratingly I was going to do first fix electric and insulation over Christmas and New Year and then drive it to St Just straight after Christmas for Mirko to do the roof and Swell Shades to do the blinds. Then back to Worthing for the lining and upholstery and back to St Just for the floor, rails and side units. So it looks like I need to delay the plans by a month or so.

What I should say is that the Derbyshire Paramedic team were spot on and if you ever do need to go in for a coronary then the Royal Derbyshire CCU is the place to go. Simply can't praise them enough T:

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Tempus Fugit and all the usual. The one dodgy artery and clot was all that there was so they vacuumed it and put a stent in. I am lucky that we recognised the symptoms and were able to act quickly. I:

Taking it easy is the plan. I said to Mrs VB "so we have to moderate the vino a bit - does that mean I can buy more expensive bottles" :D

Frustratingly I was going to do first fix electric and insulation over Christmas and New Year and then drive it to St Just straight after Christmas for Mirko to do the roof and Swell Shades to do the blinds. Then back to Worthing for the lining and upholstery and back to St Just for the floor, rails and side units. So it looks like I need to delay the plans by a month or so.

What I should say is that the Derbyshire Paramedic team were spot on and if you ever do need to go in for a coronary then the Royal Derbyshire CCU is the place to go. Simply can't praise them enough T:

Glad you are on the mend... take it easy and have a great Christmas...

Also gives you more time to think of other modsT:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im watching this topic with interest. No plans to convert my LWB 150 DSG Kombi beyond a window blind on the tailgate so interested to hear more there incl. an image or two. I ordered mine 'almost ' fully loaded incl. sunroof as no intention to convert roof. Didn't go for LED's though and part of me wishes I had. Could these be an aftermarket fit?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Im watching this topic with interest. No plans to convert my LWB 150 DSG Kombi beyond a window blind on the tailgate so interested to hear more there incl. an image or two. I ordered mine 'almost ' fully loaded incl. sunroof as no intention to convert roof. Didn't go for LED's though and part of me wishes I had. Could these be an aftermarket fit?
In which case I appologise. Normal service will be resumed just as soon as possible :D

As for retrofit OE LEDs there are a lot of discussions about this and other illumination upgrades elsewhere on here. I get the impression it may be possible but the cost will make the original option look like a bargain. Perhaps a less painful solution would be to fit H7 units and get some decent bulbs. Also I like the Scandinavian Rally look - I almost fancy a pair of 200mm Oscars as well as my LEDs :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your prompt reply. Sorry to hear of your heart attack. Hadn't seen all of this thread on Tapatalk. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
While struggling with recovery boredom I decided to buy the materials for our canopy awning. It will be an improvement on our last which was itself an adaption of a Kyham Sun Canopy.

I have bought the tent material from https://www.esvocampingshop.com/en/. The prices and delivery are good and should be here in a few days.

We are using Ten Cate polyester tent material. It will be a bit heavier than the usual thin nylons but should be very durable and keep the wind, rain and sun off as appropriate. The poles we already have, they are Robens telescopic tarp poles and the ridge is an Isabella telescopic fibreglass ridge pole. The van will have Cali rails so I will buy 8mm keder from Kayospruce in Fareham.

We can use it as a folded down shelter or straight out as a sun canopy with a few other variations in between. It packs down to not a lot and takes a couple of minutes to pitch or decamp. Usefully the basic pitch only requires a bungee as a guy in the 2 corners and for the canopy we use a couple of storm straps as guys.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sounds interesting.
Always keen to learn from the experiences of others and find something that works well for us.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sounds interesting.
Always keen to learn from the experiences of others and find something that works well for us.
It works well for us - might not for others. We tried all sorts inc a Vango drive away - that was just a pain - last summer we lugged it all over Scandinavia for 4 weeks - put it up twice and even then had to take it down in high winds.

This canopy is quick and simple and the improved version will be even more so. It keeps the wind and rain off and works as a sun shade. We have a simple Kyham quick erect toilet tent to throw up as a utility if we stop for more than overnight.

There are several pics among the Scandinavia pics on our VB FB page.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks, I took a look.

I see that your van was converted very similar to what we are planning and that you also had an Outdoor Revolution Tech canopy which I was also looking at recently....

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Thanks, I took a look.

I see that your van was converted very similar to what we are planning and that you also had an Outdoor Revolution Tech canopy which I was also looking at recently....
The new conversion will be a little different. Slightly more conventional side units with Wallas hob heater, underslung sink and top loader fridge. Using a Uberflux RIB on Cali rails.

The outdoor revolution was dreadful. They are too small for a SWB and don't work well with a lowered van. To make it worse they were all made to the wrong pattern. http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=352341

·
Registered
384 Posts
The new conversion will be a little different. Slightly more conventional side units with Wallas hob heater, underslung sink and top loader fridge. Using a Uberflux RIB on Cali rails.

The outdoor revolution was dreadful. They are too small for a SWB and don't work well with a lowered van. To make it worse they were all made to the wrong pattern. http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=352341
We're going for a side kitchen with sink, 2 burner hob and top loading fridge and small shelf above. Then low level units with cushions on top behind to give a wider head end to the 112CM RIB. Underslung LPG gas with propex heater and barbecue point, underslung fresh water, and a retrim for all the seats and a speaker upgrade.

Thanks for the link - must have been disappointing and frustrating for you.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Normal service is slowly being resumed - today we started on sound deadening with Silentcoat - so by the end of the week the insulation will be finished and move on to first fix electrical.

Last week of January it is off to Mirko @ Premium Camper for the roof and seat rails.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Table tops arrived from Chippys today;

Rectangular for main table (has the background on the reverse) and round for B post.

Well chuffed T:

21 - 40 of 79 Posts