VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The van I want to buy was/is on the proviso that it passed it's MoT - A 1998 1.9 TD T4. It failed. The failure is:

Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength rear of offside front wheel arch corroded within prescribed area.

I viewed it once, it drives well and has had a recon engine 4000 miles ago. I can't see the vehicle again (it's a hundred miles away) - is this so bad that I should pass this over and look elsewhere? Any idea's on what it might cost to fix?

Walrus

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
The van I want to buy was/is on the proviso that it passed it's MoT - A 1998 1.9 TD T4. It failed. The failure is:

Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength rear of offside front wheel arch corroded within prescribed area.

I viewed it once, it drives well and has had a recon engine 4000 miles ago. I can't see the vehicle again (it's a hundred miles away) - is this so bad that I should pass this over and look elsewhere? Any idea's on what it might cost to fix?

Walrus
Corrosion is part of t4 ownership, its something that happens and t4's are good at rustingLOL:

I always advise buying a van on body condition NOT the mecanical OR 'extras' as bodywork is the most expensive to fix properly....

same with buying a van with origonal paintwork - nothing hidden behaind 'new' & shiney paintT:

try these usefull webpages when looking at new vehicles are these DVLA ones, the MOT history can provide an insight into a vans past that some sellers will prefer yoou didnt know;)

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history?step-by-step-nav=58fad183-27f5-4dd9-b51e-696c992373d7

anyway....

theres the arguement that if a van is rusted & repaired then there should be a few years without issue & failure BUT that depends on the quality of repair & what rots next:*

there are a few solid / rust-free vans out there but with age & the UK climate they are getting few & far between:*

the trouble with rust / corrosion on mot failure is the extent of the repair needed, sometimes a fail can be for a small (1"x1") patch, the same failure could mean the whole corner of the van is missing:eek: the failure listed on the website or failure form are not good at describing the size of repair!

has the seller sent you photo's or details of the problem corrosion?
if the van is cheap enough (before the failure) maybe you could argue a price reduction & arrange repair yourself - BUT beware of the possible money-pit that you could be falling into;)

I work on cars & vans, also weld (including competition cars & restoration) I've welded a few t4's including my own, I've refused to look at a few as they were 'beyond economic repair' in my opinionI:

Rich.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts