VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternon all

Windows are done and next job is seat fitting and floor in the back

The seats are a pair of belted Ford minibus seats, 5 feet with plates for mounting with large 20mm deep spacers underneath that are obviously meant to go through the wood/rubber flooring and onto the metal floor of the bus they came out of

I had only planned on using 10/12mm ply for the floor to save weight, and all the other furniture will be fixed into floor and at least one wall - or is there any benefit to using thicker ply for the whole floor which saves me the hassle of having to use thicker material under the minibus seats or grinding down the washers on them?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Can't see any problem using 12mm for the floor &ditching the big spacers, just make sure there are decent spreader plates underneath the van where the seat bolts through.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have settled on using 9mm ply for the whole floor and then a plinth of 12mm under the seats - boxing up round the seats once fitted so that would be hidden anyway

·
Registered
51 Posts
if the seats came out of a ford with fitted seat belts and you put them into a vw, an MOT examiner could fail them for incorrect seat belt mountings, you had better check wit whoever you use to test your vehicles. these things are normally tested by the manufacturer for one type of install only

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a complete seat unit, belts are built into seat unit so it mounts into the VW almost exactly as it would have done in the Transit

·
Registered
51 Posts
yes, but these units are tested as integeral parts of the vehicle during crash tests, the only interchangable seat systems I have come across are the ones that use the seat rail channels that are similar to the ones used in aircraft, then the whole floor is utilised in the crash testing procces, this style canbe swapped about as long as the floor and rais are correctly installed. what you have got to realise is any new installation in a vehicle must comply to current standards, and just bolting a complete unit through a floor wont pass this

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
yes, but these units are tested as integeral parts of the vehicle during crash tests, the only interchangable seat systems I have come across are the ones that use the seat rail channels that are similar to the ones used in aircraft, then the whole floor is utilised in the crash testing procces, this style canbe swapped about as long as the floor and rais are correctly installed. what you have got to realise is any new installation in a vehicle must comply to current standards, and just bolting a complete unit through a floor wont pass this
All that a MOT'er normaly does is check the seat belts and then will look if you have any corrosion around the seat mounts

Well thats what the MOT'er told me

as i fitted a Bongo rear seat in my old T4

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As it falls under class 4 for MOT any seats will be tested as presented, so providing belts work and seat including belt mountings are secure there should be no issues

·
Registered
51 Posts
good luck then, but this is one of the points that vosa has been cracking down on on home camper conversions, why do you think there are very few approved seat and belt beds for T4 and T5 conversions, and those cost a fortune, its all to do with type approvall costs. and as you say the mot examiner can only test as presented, but he can ask are the seats an after market fitting

·
Registered
53 Posts
good luck then, but this is one of the points that vosa has been cracking down on on home camper conversions, why do you think there are very few approved seat and belt beds for T4 and T5 conversions, and those cost a fortune, its all to do with type approvall costs. and as you say the mot examiner can only test as presented, but he can ask are the seats an after market fitting
The MOT is a basic check of safety and roadworthiness.
They are not interested in where the bolt on goodies came from, they might look for an e mark on aftermarket lights or such, but generally wouldn't be bothered as long as everything is secure and functions as it should.

I'd be interested to know where you got your information that MOT testers will be looking into this depth.

I would imagine trafpol will be similarly uninterested as long as the insurance says the correct number of seats.

The only sticking points I could see are:
-Listing the extra seats on the insurance policy - although using a company that is used to camper conversions it shouldn't really present an issue.
-Converting the van to motorhome via the DVLA and VOSA, DVLA can instruct the vehicle be checked by VOSA instead of just swapping the classification on the paperwork, though I think this is mainly to check it is actually a converted vehicle rather than just paying lipservice with some dressed up pictures.
They may check the mountings, but I've not heard of anyone having to go to VOSA for a simple campervan conversion, more for kit cars, Q plates or restoring writeoffs.

I think any mention of type approved seats etc is mainly just to stop people knocking-up home made rock&roll beds then will implode on impact.

If I were the OP I'd just crack on as normal and not worry about it, make them nice and sturdy and in the unlikely event of anyone taking issue, deal with it then. :D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The MOT is a basic check of safety and roadworthiness.
They are not interested in where the bolt on goodies came from, they might look for an e mark on aftermarket lights or such, but generally wouldn't be bothered as long as everything is secure and functions as it should.

I'd be interested to know where you got your information that MOT testers will be looking into this depth.

I would imagine trafpol will be similarly uninterested as long as the insurance says the correct number of seats.

The only sticking points I could see are:
-Listing the extra seats on the insurance policy - although using a company that is used to camper conversions it shouldn't really present an issue.
-Converting the van to motorhome via the DVLA and VOSA, DVLA can instruct the vehicle be checked by VOSA instead of just swapping the classification on the paperwork, though I think this is mainly to check it is actually a converted vehicle rather than just paying lipservice with some dressed up pictures.
They may check the mountings, but I've not heard of anyone having to go to VOSA for a simple campervan conversion, more for kit cars, Q plates or restoring writeoffs.

I think any mention of type approved seats etc is mainly just to stop people knocking-up home made rock&roll beds then will implode on impact.

If I were the OP I'd just crack on as normal and not worry about it, make them nice and sturdy and in the unlikely event of anyone taking issue, deal with it then. :D

agree'ed, I asked the MOT'er to check my Bongo seats were safe, he said the the bolts i used were good quality ( they were, i went for the best, Class 12.9 ) and he said he would have been happy with 10.9

The spreader plates were more than big and thick enough and the area was painted to stop rust ( i used POR 15 on it and them covered the area in stone chip )

I sent the V5 of and just changed the seats from 3 to 6 ( though the seat would have been a squeeze for 3, it had 3 belts )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts