VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Had a bit of a shocker on the way to work this morning. Car in front (new range rover sport) braked suddenly, I braked but not as well and went into the back of him :(
Trouble is he had a big tow bar on the back and even though I wasn't going fast it has mangled the front end. It is at the garage awaiting assessment but I think they are going to write it off as the cost of fixing it will be too great. I am thinking I may buy it back off them cheap as I will be able to get alot of the parts cheaper myself and get a garage to do the bulk of the big work.
The main thing I am worried about is the front part of the subframe as this is bent where it hit the towbar. Is this able to be removed and rebolted or is it not possible?

Any ideas, views, opinions greatfully received.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
166 Posts
Gutted for you Ben, let's seem some pictures to help assess.

Had the Range Rover just cut you up? Wouldn't surprise me. Totally unecessary vehicle unless you're a yuppie living on a farm ;-)

Good luck chap. Tony

·
Registered
161 Posts
hi there

sorry to hear that, im breakin a 1995 caravelle if you need any of the front lights, panels etc, i havnt got it long but if theres bits there at the mo if you decide to fix it yourself

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Hi,

Had a bit of a shocker on the way to work this morning. Car in front (new range rover sport) braked suddenly, I braked but not as well and went into the back of him :(
Trouble is he had a big tow bar on the back and even though I wasn't going fast it has mangled the front end. It is at the garage awaiting assessment but I think they are going to write it off as the cost of fixing it will be too great. I am thinking I may buy it back off them cheap as I will be able to get alot of the parts cheaper myself and get a garage to do the bulk of the big work.
The main thing I am worried about is the front part of the subframe as this is bent where it hit the towbar. Is this able to be removed and rebolted or is it not possible?

Any ideas, views, opinions greatfully received.

Cheers,
Ben

If your's is a short nose, i have all the parts available, the front cross member is only £25, bonnet is £20, plastic grille is £5, the metal front panel (grill panel) is £15

It wont cost you much to sort it, Also have rads... Its an easy fix really:ILU:

·
Registered
458 Posts
IIRC the front cross member just bolts on. If its a center hit then you should have no major problems. Fix it ........ better the devil you know than a strange new van, unless you fancy something different.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I got a SWB 1.9TD in Cardiff that i'm breaking on my mothers drive too. The problem is it also had a front knock but feel free to come and have a look. There might be some things you want?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers for the replies guys - much appreciated. Went and had another look yesterday and was worse than I thought. So far, the list from a quick look from the outside is:
1 x front cross member
1 x bonnet,
2 x headlights,
1 x front wing passenger side,
1 x radiator,
1 x grille + the metal strip at the front
1 x bumper supports (bumper OK hopefully)
1 x engine pan (may be OK/possible to hammer back into place)

Not looking good. All depends on whenther the chassis has been bent and how much they offer me for it and want me to buy it back for.
Another problem is I have no way of towing it, and nowhere to tow it to at the moment.

All in all not looking good. Think I may have to go van shopping

·
Registered
450 Posts
The chassis should be fine with that sort of damage. Check the wheel is straight and you should be ok. Although that said the only way to be sure is fix it and see if you get uneven tyre wear.
If it's a tidy and straight van i'd fix it if the fuel pump is ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey mate. sorry to hear some dumbass farmer with loads of daddys money did this to our sweet lovin t4s. did he or she have a flat cap? one lesson for you dude. never trust anyone with a flap cap, hope you get it sorted cause i know how it feels to hurt your van. had a bash on my own. i know some good people who do good repairs and cheap. maybe one problem, i live in devon.:ILU:

·
Registered
19 Posts
:ILU:hey mate. i was just looking for some headlights for my and noticed a fill front for a t4 at buy it now 100 quid, not sure if you sorted anything but av a look. type in t4 headlights and you will see it. cheers dude.T:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good spot - cheers mate A: Maybe its a sign that I should fix it up. Was sat here feeling depressed. Just need to find a place that will take it to their yard and then do the work cash in hand if I supply the parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts