VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've damaged my spare key's immobiliser chip when I drilled a hole into the corner of the front half that houses the chip/transponder and flip-out key blade:eek:

Don't go there, lol, I was trying to make another key ring hole. As the one at the back of the fob snapped and as well as housing the remote locking and battery, thought the back half also housed the chip!! I now know I can get a whole fob off fleabay and could have transferred all the guts of the key/chip and blade across........Hind side is a wonderful thing!

Anyway, been onto VW, they say I have to pay for the front half of the key after showing my V5 and drivers licence as proof I own the van, this is not a problem, then they have the key cut in Germany once they have my reg number, to match the cut key to my 'bus, then after (up to) two weeks, they ring me to say the key is back from Germany, then I go into the van centre to have the chip "synced" to the ignition barrel that houses the gubbins that recognises the chip, this can take from half hour to a few hours depending on their internet connection, so I'm told (this info from Cardiff and Swansea VW dealers)

So..... My question is can I buy a cheaper "blank" chip and blank key front half of the key fob from anywhere for HOPEFULLY a damn site less than VW want and then just have VW sync the chip to my ignition barrel? I can just transfer across my van's key blade then, Or is there anyone out there who can supply a chip and do the necessary so I get a spare key again! If I lose my key, I will have no way of starting the van!

Cheers guys

Ritchie:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Think it depends on you van ive got 2003 2.5 x pack and timpsons couldn't do the chip, sent me to a van that cuts keys and he knew someone who could for 85 quid

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you're on a tight budget, just pop the chip out of your good key and tape it to the side of your ignition barrell, then both keys will start the van..
Not the most secure system but I'm away in the countryside and I'd chance it here if I was stuck for options..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, yes Jeffk, saw an example of this on YouTube, but as you say, not very secure. Mine is a '53 plate T4 2.5 tdi, so will try the Timpson route, VW are approx £140.00, but as you say neddie, may not be able to do mine, was the guy you was sent to, just a local guy to you, or a national franchise service like chips away or dent master-type vehicle locksmith-type person!?!?

Thanks guys for your help, the VW route just is a long pain in the butt, taking weeks to do it all, but if that is my only option I may not have a choice..... Unless I do the chip taped to the barrel idea:)

Cheers

Ritchie :ILU:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks spannersT: He's a little far for me to visit, but maybe he has some info that could help or knows someone nearer the SouthWales area, any advice will be greatly received anyway :)

Ritchie

·
Registered
150 Posts
as you say neddie, may not be able to do mine, was the guy you was sent to, just a local guy to you, or a national franchise service like chips away or dent master-type vehicle locksmith-type person!?!?
Just some guy with a van and a computer and the knowledge T:

·
Registered
230 Posts
A guy at my local market cuts keys and codes them (by copying the working one). Might be worth looking for someone like that, I think the max he charged was around £50. Sounds like a dodgy thing but he's a genuine locksmith there every week :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts