VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 53 plate T28, and if i unlock it (central locking) and open a door,after a couple of minutes the van locks itself, if i put the keys in the ignition and turn it to 1, its ok, but its a right pain in the butt! Is this normal? I'm paranoid about putting the keys down in the back closing the tailgate, and the keys then locked inside!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ours is a 57plate (not sure if this changes anything:*) and it locks itself too, to stop this happening we open and close either the drivers door or the passenger door, this does the trick for us T:

Hope this helps

cheers
Tim

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i open the drivers door it still does it, i'll walk round to the tailgate & its flippin locked, rummage for keys again!! AAARGH!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Think this is due to a wiring issue, as the central locking connections that sit under the front seats (I think!) get a bit corroded. Mine does this, but only on the passenger side. PITA but I've never bothered to try and sort it!

A few people have had this issue on the forum, so may be worth a search

Mark

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
It is generally caused by failure of the switch inside the door locking mechanism. The system doesn't register that the door has opened.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
They should only auto lock if you have unlocked it but not opened a door or switched on the ignition.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Mine locks itself if I get out and close the door. Everyone I know is under strict instructions never to leave the keys in the van when they take it. I have sometimes been working beside it and close the door if it rains or to go grab a cuppa only to sprint back within 2 minutes to wrench open a door and get the keys. I've had a spare cut now, saves on the sprinting.

·
Registered
450 Posts
got the same issue in mine. 2007 model with canbus.

does anyone know if this is a proper feature and such can be changed with vagcom. mine does not open side door with 1 keypress and would like to change it.

or will have to ave the door panels off to hunt around for a switch fault

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I'm with Upspex on this, I'd be looking at the door lock mechanism switch. It's not telling the control unit it's been opened & consequently it locks the doors again :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can the door locking mec be repaired? Or do you need to replace it, if I open sliding door on its own it's ok? But not the other 3, unless I also open side door! Bit of a pain really!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have to confess I've no experiance of removing the lock mechanisms myself, but I'm sure they can't be difficult to get out. Maybe all they need is a bit of a clean & lube. Failing that check the cost of the parts from an autnorised dealer, (sometimes genuine parts are not too expensive) then check out Ebay for starters & breakers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts