VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is opening a can of worms but this getting silly.

We bought our 1.9TD '01 plate T4 last summer from ebay in peak selling season. We didn't get a bargain but we didn't pay through the nose either. Now looking on ebay and in the classifieds on this site I can find a similar aged van with similar mileage for £2k more than we paid, that is crazy. Why are people expecting to make such margins on old vans?

·
Registered
11,549 Posts
it seems to be the scene tax ,, they are a very wanted van at the moment ,,,
however the problem is if i go to sell my van for the scene tax rate i cant upgrade because i need more cash :(

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I recon I could sell my work T4 van (surf busI:) and upgrade to a T5 with out shelling out a penny. :D

(Not that I would want to btwI:;))

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
It's just supply and demand, apart from there is a dwindling supply since the T4 has been out of production for 8 years. I reckon we will soon see an influx of imported T4, since their popularity on the continent is dropping compared to the UK market.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Its the vw way mate! my gaffer at work has a 65 split screen panel van and paid £8k for it 10 years ago. hes selling it to buy a porsche 911 and wants £18k for it! Vws are better investments than anything i can think of!

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
This is the very reason we have high prices, well part of it. We're on topic now, the very thing. It's enthusiasm for a van, a Volkswagen van. the question should be why such enthusiasm for Volkswagen? T:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Its not just the van, its the lifestyle you buy into lol! Plus they are bloody good motors!

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I think "scene tax" should be added to the swear filter on here.
Sick of reading it.

It's simply that the price of any product goes up the more demand there is for it, or the rarer it gets !!! :*

The T4 has been out of production for a long time now. So demand is high. It's simple really.

Maybe 4 years ago the van needed to be good to fetch a good price, but as good vans get rarer, not so good ones get higher prices.

It's "economics" supply and demand, not "scene tax"

10,824 Posts
Sick of reading it.

It's simply that the price of any product goes up the more demand there is for it, or the rarer it gets !!! :*

The T4 has been out of production for a long time now. So demand is high. It's simple really.

Maybe 4 years ago the van needed to be good to fetch a good price, but as good vans get rarer, not so good ones get higher prices.

scene tax scene tax scene tax scene tax scene tax Rasp:

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Sick of reading it.

Does there not have to be demand in the first instance, rarity in itself does not translate into higher value, like I said the question is why the desirability as you can use any van for many functions. The really simple bit is ,it's all about psychology not economics..

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Another thread on the same topic?

Actually makes me wonder why folk still bother?

Look - the VW transporter is NOT 'rare'. It sold in HUGE numbers over here.

Only the makers of the Haynes manual seem to think that it somehow only appealed to a niche market.

Prices of VWs in general are a wee wee take, as folk think they are somehow superior to other marques.

Historically, they had a point.

Nowadays they don't. (look in the tech sections of this forum alone to see the plethora of faults that having a VW badge doesn't make you imune to)

T4's fetch money because they are no longer in production and they are FAR superior to early T5s.

But they are no better or worse than any other 'van'.

If you want to buy into the whole 'VW' 'thang' then go for it.

You'll have to pay over the odds for it - that's the nature of the beast.

It doesn't buy you a more 'anything' van - it just buys you a van with a VW badge on the front.

My personal thoughts are well known on the topic.

Nuff said

·
Registered
561 Posts
VW have always been successful at promoting the badge and claiming premium status for an ordinary product. Ask a german, they don't consider anything special about a VW.
In the UK we are very aspirational. Why? Because our heritage is a long served aristocracy and squeezed in a small space in a large population, we are very competitive.

So we will pay for something that we think improves our lot especially our outward impressions. If you look in London, with its large population and good wages, every new car that is the model of the moment, appears all over the place.

Additionally, the germans do clean lines in their styling, which in a busy fast moving society is serene and relaxing. The fact that it has been pushed by pricier marques has also made that style aspirational/fashionable aswell.

Actually, its quite dull really but it works because they do need to be functional. So long as there's a corner of truth in something you're pushing, it works with people. the rest can be fluff, so long as its entertaining or flash or retro or something.

Just call me Psyche!

I've noticed that there are very few T5 Caravelles out there for sale, so the price of those will probably rise aswell - as if they weren't expensive enough already.

anyone else want to ramble on aimlessly?:cool:

·
Registered
847 Posts
VW have always been successful at promoting the badge and claiming premium status for an ordinary product. Ask a german, they don't consider anything special about a VW.
In the UK we are very aspirational. Why? Because our heritage is a long served aristocracy and squeezed in a small space in a large population, we are very competitive.

So we will pay for something that we think improves our lot especially our outward impressions. If you look in London, with its large population and good wages, every new car that is the model of the moment, appears all over the place.

Additionally, the germans do clean lines in their styling, which in a busy fast moving society is serene and relaxing. The fact that it has been pushed by pricier marques has also made that style aspirational/fashionable aswell.

Actually, its quite dull really but it works because they do need to be functional. So long as there's a corner of truth in something you're pushing, it works with people. the rest can be fluff, so long as its entertaining or flash or retro or something.

Just call me Psyche!

I've noticed that there are very few T5 Caravelles out there for sale, so the price of those will probably rise aswell - as if they
weren't expensive enough

COME AGAIN???:*

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
how many R reg vw's can you find in good condition compared to transits , toyotas and the like . most the other makes tend to find themselves living in a scrap yard . the vw's dont seem to rot as bad and they still look good style wise even after years and years . other manufacturers seem to be very good at making their older models look dated very quickly . stick a private plate on a R reg vw and no one would know , it could be a 03 plate . maybe this is one of the many reasons they hold their value more

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
For sale, 1 vw caravelle 2.5i Petrol, 215 k miles, rusty arches, ideal surf bus in rare vw grey/white make me an offer over 5k:D:DLOL:LOL::D:D
Surely if there's a scene, that creates the demand so the two are linked. If only I knew that bays were going to be selling for silly money I'd have not scrapped my two(bows head in shame).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts