VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having woken early in a cold sweat and avoided the task all morning by doing my wife's brakes (her car obviously not her as such) I finally set to and did a proper first job on my van, side windows, I started at 1pm and took my time. All finished by about 5pm. I have loads of pics showing how I did it and, subject to interest and time may publish a guide but here are the main two.

They are 80% dark windoews from Vansport. Delivered by TNT on Thursday as pre-aaranged in perfect nick. Vansport really are organised bunch.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and Vansport for the windows and kit.

and

Now all I need is for the other windows to be in stock

Tomorrow I start on hi-fi and 12V electrics.

ITB

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ditto, ordered my side window from vansports yesterday and were delivered today, great service A: would love to see your fitting pics before i try to fit mine T:T:T:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Brand spankin new to the forums and vanless at the moment. I`ve been looking through the forums for d.i.y mods to the T5......putting windows in is high on my list and would be keen to do it myself......Seen lots of posts from people asking what companys to use, not so many pics and instructions on doing it yourself....is the T5 alot harder to mod?.....oh and would love to see these pics, see what i`m getting myself into I:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
this thread is useless without pics!!!!!!!!!!!!Rasp:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, due to huge demand, and a little prodding, this is my window fitting thread

There are a few key facts before I start

Windows and fitting kit are from Vansport and are 80% dark. I aim to fit the remainder once Vansport have them in stock. Meanwhile I have fitted these two. Vansport were great, giving me a specific delivery day a week in advance. They come by courier well wrapped but check the package doesn't rattle before you sign for it.

There are a few things I would do differently next time and thought I should state these here:

1. On the off side window, just before you prime the window opening put a piece of tape in line with the edge of where the finished window will go. This will make the priming and mastic more accurate.

2. Don't put extra mastic in the corners, it stops the window sitting flat on the glass (see last but one photo). Also push the corners in first to stop the glass flattening and keep it in line with the curve of the panel (same photo)

3. The kit was missing the nozzles for the mastic, fortunately I had a spare but its worth checking. The V groove cut in the nozzles needs to quite big. I'd say cut of two thirds of the nozzle so the hole is about 10mm diameter.

To the photo's

Start by masking up the whole area. I used cheap decorators dust sheet. It comes on a roll and costs a few £ from DIY stores.

Next drill a series of holes around each corner from the inside and either side of the centre strengthening bar. Try to drill slightly in from the edge (say 5mm) in.

Next draw straight lines between the holes on the outside of the Van where the window will go. Also drill a hole large enough for the nibbler or series of three holes in a triangle inside the cut line and insert the jigsaw and make a hole large enough for the nibbler. Then you can start cutting. A nibbler will follow the inner edge of the frame naturally but try to follow the line you have drawn.

When you reach the strengthening bar you will have to use a jigsaw, cut straight across from the two holes you drilled earlier.

This is the finished cut. Note the shape of the inner and outer frame differs at the bar, and also from near and off side (not shown)

Repeat the other side (assuming you have two windows) and you now have two holes. This is a good point to mention to keep an eye on the weather!

Now prime the cut edge with something quick drying. I used a hammerite product, see kit below

next break out the fixing kit. The instructions here are good so I wont repeat them. Just check you have the nozzle (atleast one) as you are stuck without it.

I am not going to explain this task other than show the primer in place. Beware there is only just enough for two windows. Wear the gloves, its much easier!! :*

Now to the windows

Next apply the mastic. I cut the hole in the nozzle too small and so in some places went round twice. Try to get the whole bigger. I'd say cut off two thirds of the nozzle. You need a V groove, not a wedge shape. Note my comment at the top about not putting too much mastic in corners.

Now fit the windows, remember not to apply too much pressure on the curved sides before getting the corners flat to the panel, avoid my error at the bottom (see last but one pic) I suspect the primer and mastic should be nearer to the edge and that someone more learned will be along soon to confirm this.

and

As I said above, avoid flattening the window in the middle first otherwise you get a wider gap at the corners like this

Lastly tape each window as you fix it to stop them sagging. You need an extra person as it will sag in the time it takes to tape it from one side to the other. Make sure the tape is tight.

Leave the tape for two hours before removing.

Job Done!

Good luck ITB T:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
looks easy!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the Pic's, they are a real help T:T:T: kept putting off fitting my bonded window that i got from vansports (coward i hear you scream) so i set about un-bolting and ripping out the insides instead, bulkhead, plylining, flooring ect and took it to the local tip, where i promptly took out the still bubble rapped window and bonding kit and put it safely to one side whilst i dumped the stuff that was not going back in....... no prizes for what i left behind :bhd
dohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :*:*:*:*:*

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rosie - waaaa - did you go back and get it or too late?

Vansport supply a trim which I am yet to fit but it looks like the piccy in this link which is from their site

http://picasaweb.google.com/vansport.roguesgallery/VWT5Products#5323155920059571362

I found the job quite straight forward except for my two main errors. I thought having nibblers made it easier as others have said. But its do able with a jigsaw.

ITB

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Well Done. T:T:T:T:

Great Thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you need to pay the subscription to see the photos? That does not appear to be the case on other threads?
I have tried two computers now at home and work?
:(
Please help!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just fitted my first window from vansports, thanks for the step by step guide T:T:T:. can anyone tell me how to post pics??????

·
Registered
238 Posts
Another Vansport window DIYer here. I stuffed my van on our gate post so replaced the sliding door with a new one off ebay with window cutout as stock. You will notice some damage to the back panel which will get fixed when it goes in for bumper re-spray.

Just got door back from my painter so time to cut the other side.

Using this thread as a referece I drilled and cut with a jig saw. Dead easy. Tip is to set the jig saw to cut at a 30 degree angle so it doesn't cut the inside skin and the hole can be the same size.

I ordered them with cheapest delivery by their own van. Took 4 weeks to arrive but I wasn't in a rush. Poor lad has to drive to 40+ customers in 2-3 days. Mine came at 9pm on a Saturday.

I bought my bonding kit from ebay which came as a single tube with glass prep and bodywork prep. I was liberal with the preps on the first window and only just had enough for the second but the bonding glue was enough just for two too. I did run the risk of running out so it would be worth buying two tubes but I managed and it's been tested in the rain already.

Another tip, I used Hammerite with a sponge roller after sanding the trimmed edges. It's thick paint and with the roller you get even coverage. Better than a brush.

Thanks to this tread it just made me confident and wizzed through this no problems. Cutting a big hole in a perfectly good van is a daunting prospect.

Oh and I put my ply lining back in before bondign the window and scribed out the cutout from outside the van, took it out and jig sawed that out too.T:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts