VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 2.5 Tdi T4 which has been off the road for a month ,prior to this it was starting to
Get reluctant to start on the button ( I had to pump the pedal a couple of times )
Now it reluctantly starts then cuts out.
When it was off the road I did a good deal of welding ( battery -ve disconnected but not +ve)
I also fitted a cone type air filter and removed the old box and foam arrangement as it was causing corrosion to the wing. I replaced the wing.

Any ideas of what may be the cause of the cutting out problem would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a fueling issue ... Try changing the fuel filter
Replaced the fuel filter yesterday but no change , I’m just psyching up fo another go ,it seems the sender / lift pump in the tank may be the culprit . Will check electrics first.
Thanks .........any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Have you checked the crankshaft pully for bad cracks in the rubber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a cutting out issue with my old van a while ago, mine was cause by a cracked wire that would make and break it was the wires to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the fuel pump, got the wires fixed £50 no issue since, OH VW garage said £1300 for a new ECU !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked the crankshaft pully for bad cracks in the rubber?

The crankshaft pulls does have cracks in it ......how would that affect the starting ? Is it to do with a sensor ? Cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a cutting out issue with my old van a while ago, mine was cause by a cracked wire that would make and break it was the wires to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the fuel pump, got the wires fixed £50 no issue since, OH VW garage said £1300 for a new ECU !!!
I have now changed the sender unit in the tank . Van now starts (on third try) . The fuel system is not maintaining its pressure . Any ideas where I might look next . Cheers .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It affects starting and running. Can you post a picture of your pulley?
I have now managed to take a photo of the pulley for you to look at , hope it gets through. Sorry but the photo is refusing to attach ......have I got to be on Facebook or similar.

Pulley has light cracking around it’s circumference but not breaking up if that’s a help.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
I have now managed to take a photo of the pulley for you to look at , hope it gets through. Sorry but the photo is refusing to attach ......have I got to be on Facebook or similar.

Pulley has light cracking around it’s circumference but not breaking up if that’s a help.
Light cracks should be fine and not cause a problem. Your car has an electric gas pedal. Check the brake light switch. that could be shorting.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
A local guy had this problem a few days ago and it was his 109 relay. Your gas pedal is electric.
You can also check your brake pedal switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts