VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Van to 'Not so Basic in the end' Camper build

Welcome to my very own build thread :D

When I started this I was looking to build a basic camper for weekends away, I needed to carry my MTB inside the van and sleep 2 people comfortably.

I managed to get hold a pretty clean van so here's how it progressed.

I haven't gone into a lot of detail with some of the things I've done but if you want any more info just ask.

Bits covered so far:

Insulation
Carpeting
Roof Lights
Floor

Wooden pull out bed structure
---Bed / Seating foam
---Bed / Seating layout

Split charge
Cooker unit
Cooker unit part 2

Leisure battery
240v Hookup
Curtains

Sliding door side step
EGR Blank
Lowering
Cruise Control

Plus other bits

My starting point

And Where I'm up to June 2014

Old Red white and blue look....

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Nice base to start with....

The side step should lift out vertically. It's held on by three clips at the back edge and some plastic lugs at the bottom.

Short sharp pull should do it. :ILU:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice base to start with....

The side step should lift out vertically. It's held on by three clips at the back edge and some plastic lugs at the bottom.

Short sharp pull should do it. :ILU:
Well the step is off and intact, little plastic clips didn't survive though....:( alas poor clips

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice van to start with dont want to be a vulture but wouldnt mind your alloys if your changing themI:
Haven't thought too much about the wheels at the moment. I believe they are the original factory fitted 15" Vortex. I'd like to fill out the arch a bit more at some point but will have to see how shes sits and how the funds are looking after the rear is done, at the moment it's like she's on stilts, good job I don't mind heights :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a deep clean yesterday, you should have seen the gunk :eek:, I've started to insulate.

I've started with the panels then will go on to the doors and roof.

After much reading it seemed the general way to do the panels is:

Flashing Tape
Bubble foil
Recycled plastic insulation
More bubble foil.

Few strips to start with, added more until it sounded like a bass drum rather that a cymbal when tapped.

Tools of the trade

Big strips, 225MM Wide from Toolstation

1st Layer of Double Foil Wrap

Bottom section insulated, called it a day.

Hopefully I can do some more mid week and get the carpet ordered T:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looking good, just wondered which adhesive you decided to use to fix the foil on, im going to be starting mine soon and hadnt even thought about it :confused:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking good, just wondered which adhesive you decided to use to fix the foil on, im going to be starting mine soon and hadnt even thought about it :confused:
I have used evo stick contact adhesive spray, I was a bit worried I should be using some high temp stuff but as it's got half a ton of foil tape and will be behind the ply in a big foil / insulation sandwich, that should hold it in place if it gets too hot.

I'll use high temp stuff on the roof and when I do the carpeting, from MVM most likely.

Len :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A bit more work today, finished of insulating the two rear panels and the panel opposite the sliding door. Then Stripped the sliding door, barn doors and roof ready for some thermal bubble wrap.

MVM carpet carpet and high temp glue arrived today so all set to finish the insulation and maybe make a start on the carpeting.

Rear door cards off, all nice and clean.

Ply back in place til I'm ready to carpet

Shed load of clips, easiest way to remove these was to screw in a self tapping screw a couple of turns then pull with pliers, all out in no time.

Roof with existing sound deadening.

Found a Wasp taking refuge in my roof, get orffffff my van!!!

Some extra flashing tape on roof to reduce drumming a bit.

I will resume tomorrow!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how did you find a wasp in mid February???? Likeing the progress T:
When I took the roof panel off I thought, WTF a Wasp in winter.

I released it to the wild, but I've a nasty feeling it's going to come back and sting me in the a$$ :eek:

Cheers all, made a bit more progress today, just the sliding door to insulate tomorrow then I can start on the carpeting, though I need to buy some invisible clips before the door panels and roof can go back on.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's it! Rear seats definitely coming out tomorrow to give me the room to start properly cleaning and insulating like you have. I'm not looking forward to the roof bit. Are the clips reusable?
I'm going to need new clips just to replace the grey ones that were holding the door panels and roof on, other wise you'd have to put holes in the nice new carpet.

Looks like MVM sell clips that twist into the holes from the back, then once all the clips are in, the panel just pushes on and no clips are visible.

A bag of ten is £3 and I think I need 76.

1 - 20 of 341 Posts