VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my T5 last year to transport my sons motorcross bikes. The way things panned out I wish I'd not gone for the poverty spec model (how I miss elctric windows LOL).

First thing was a set of alloys, I decided to stick with 16's. Driving off road and down muddy tracks I didn't want to try my luck with low profiles (now wish I'd gone for something bigger). Ended up buying a set from my local dealer.

Then bought a wind out Fiamma F45 awning from Ruddock Races Homes to put the bike under.

Managed to pick up a privacy room off ebay for a bargin price.

Then disaster strikes, my son decides he's going to quit motocross, I give it a couple of months of the bikes not been used but in the end they go (still got 6 left - don't tell the wife I:). So what do I do, I love my van. I know, I'll turn it into a camper. Read up on what to do, so I insulate, carpet the sides and pre wire for the electrics.

I'm lucky enough to live near Dave @ Cannons Forge so pop over, inspect his work and place my order. 3/4 bed fitted with memory foam, inca fabric and seatbelts.

Next visit is to Pete @ Cowen & Reaney, have a look at a van he's converting and discuss my requirements (still want to get my smaller bikes in). Can't recomend Pete enough, needless to say I put my order in.

Next job is to finish the electrics, will post some further pics when completed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finished off the electrics this weekend;

Consumer unit for 240v and fuse box for 12v (you can just see the invertor).

Front cupboard, feed to 240v sockect & 12v din plug;

Rear cupboard twin 240v & 12v sockets;

Leisure battery under drivers seat. Feed from main battery comes through bulkhead and under carpet to a split charging unit. Just need to make a board up to cover.

Outside hookup required taking the bumper off but is neat and out of the way;

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks good!! A:

PS Pete at Cowen and Reaney is my dad! Thanks for the kind words he takes a lot of pride in what he does!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
great van ,and i like battery possition

that mains hook up is it the right end for the van ?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
sorry i ment right connection male or female

im new to this site and campers so am proberbly wrong if you pull the flap down on your vans connection are the pins or holes

got meself all confused here

dont now about van rookie more like van loopie

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem, its a standard surface mount plug for caravan etc. If you pull up the flap its a male plug (has pins). The flap is there to stop water etc getting into the plug unlike training leads where the flap is generally on the female plug.

Hope that assists (had to check myself LOL).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you look to the right of the hook up, there's a black wire which leads to a gromet. The orange wire leads to an air vent on the side of the van. Both are hidden by the plastic bumper.

Wires fed up from both of these points come up in the well behind the rear wheel arch (directly below the rear corner) if that makes sense. You have to take the hardboard cover off to reach them.

Hope that assists.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts