VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

My family and I are taking our T5 down to Greece this summer. We have friends who have a house in Naxos, so are taking it nice and slow there and back and staying in the house for week in the middle of the trip. The only thing is, I work as a freelance writer, and know that I need to be available during that time via email and, more than that, reliably available. So there may be things I need to work on and send to people I'm working for.

Has anyone looked into having in-vehicle Wi-Fi that I can connect to? I know there are 4G dongles on the market - does anyone have experience of using them?

I realise that most campsites have Wi-Fi, but I'm looking to avoid always camping in campsites (we have a van, so let's use it!) and also the stress of sometimes unreliable coverage from other people's networks.

And before anyone says 'You're on holiday - forget about work!", yes, I'd love to, but it's only because I do what I do that I can afford to take a month to drive down to Greece and back!

All comments gratefully received.

Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Tim

We holiday in the new forest every year with the hounds and being a Sado I have to have internet , I started with 3g dongles on th 3 network and proved to be very reliable then went onto a MiFi , a glorified dongle the means you can use more than one device , like a mini network and found these to be reliable as well.

As for the coverage in Greece ( you would need to speak to the service provider ) I wouldn't have a clue but the one thing I have found it is better to buy more data to start off with as the top ups can be expensive , not sure if it has changed because the place we rent now has sky internet A: but I think the data lasted for a month.

Oh the option I use now when out and can't get wifi on iPad I tether to mobile , this might be another option depending on who you are with how much data you get and whether they allow tethering and of course roaming charges would apply.

Hope this helps T:

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Whilst on holiday a couple of years ago in Holland we got sick to death of the pathetic campsite wi fi. Our neighbours pointed us to a little back street mobile phone repair shop who were Lebara retailers. I took my phone in there, he fitted a new sim and changed a couple of minor settings and then for the next week we had 1GB of data for €10. You can get Lebara direct here...

http://www.lebara.co.uk/flexi#europe

I'll ask my Greek pal what he uses when he goes home...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi I have a Huawei wireless WiFi you can add multiple devices, I use it at home (on it now) & take it away, plugs into computer or any USB but has internal battery too. Costs me £10 a Month 10GB the only Broadband I have.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi I have a Huawei wireless WiFi you can add multiple devices, I use it at home (on it now) & take it away, plugs into computer or any USB but has internal battery too. Costs me £10 a Month 10GB the only Broadband I have.
Forgot to say has its own sim card so can use it anywhere...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks to everyone who responded. All really useful comments and much appreciated!
Tim

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah motorhome wifi kits are good, my son has one of these http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/4g-roof-antenna-e5577-mifi-save-25/

and gets a really good signal. Down side is that the antenna is a bit big, and as he had already installed his solar panel it could not go at the back of the vehicle where it would be less obvious so it had to go towards the front of the roof. As he is not a purist it does not bother him being there, but others may find it unsightly as it looks like his van has a hat on :D

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
My 4g router with built in twin sim cards. Use EE as main card and fall back to O2 sim if EE fails to connect. Works really well

MIMO roof mount antenna

Internal wifi antenna fitted both sides at rear, gives great coverage both inside and outside van

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Hi.

This is the solution that I use.

Dongle Details

Link from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Ultra-Fast-Unlocked-E5577s-321-Portable/dp/B01BHT39ZK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462005069&sr=8-2&keywords=huawei+5577

Details:

Huawei Ultra-Fast 4G/LTE Unlocked 150 Mbps E5577s-321 Portable Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot- Black

And then the SIM was from three which you might be able to buy in their shop, or online.

> Plan details.
> Change this plan.
Broadband - Pay As You Go + 12.
per month
Includes.
Pre-loaded with 12GB and valid up to 12 months. Topped up and ready to go.
12GB data
Valid for 12 months
Upfront charge
£30

The dongle here has 2 external connectors so you can put a magnetic antenna (or 2) outside your van. I am permanently installing this setup in my T5, but have an older dongle in my caravan as well. Beware some of the less expensive dongles have no external antenna connections and smaller batteries.

I recently took this on a cruise and got connections in port for all our stops in the Med.

Whilst this looks expensive initially consider it a long term investment. Whilst 3 don't seem to have a feel at home agreement for Greece at the moment you might be able to buy a local SIM when you arrive, and of course you will have connectivity on you drive down.

Don't forget also that in about a years time additional charges for roaming should be abolished, so really 3 are just ahead of the game at the moment.

I have found that for the last 3 years 12 gig tends to cover all of my holidays during the year.

One point is that 3 feel at home only seems to give 3G/HSPA whist roaming, not the 4G , however it is still very good.

xlray

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Hi

Just seen the post from Spanners. And my wife things I am obsessed with Comms installations !!!!!!!

My installation also has nearside and offside antenna installs.

xlray

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Hi

Just seen the post from Spanners. And my wife things I am obsessed with Comms installations !!!!!!!

My installation also has nearside and offside antenna installs.

xlray
I am self employed and need to be able to send and receive emails and take card payments, so need a good reliable service. This is cheap and easy in comparison to the portable fax machine I used to take on holiday with me.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts