VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange and infuriating start up issue, its almost like my van gets lonely if left too long...

It will start perfectly and run fine if I use it daily....but if I leave it for more than a day its a real awkward sod to get started.

When it plays up the engine turns over fine but it won't fire up properly, it chugs and splutters and won't idle, cutting out each time. It takes repeated attempts to get it going, eventually it seems to clear itself (if you keep the throttle pinned) and in a cloud of whitish grey smoke it settles down and runs fine.

I have changed the glowplugs, and the battery is new. I'm convinced it could be a fuel issue but don't understand how if used daily the bloodly thing never misses a beat.

At the moment I have resorted to taking it for a spin round the block every day just to make sure that when I need it it will start.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Have you looked to see if fuel is returning (draining) back to the tank over time? I had a similar problem & a one way valve sorted it, though I must have air getting in somewhere for it to allow it to drain.

Symptoms were the same, fine if used every day but would be a bugger if left more than 24 hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts