VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's amazing how time flies! Bought my first T5 in October last year, joined this forum in December and wanted to share some of the minor modifications but it's taken until now for me to find some time to start writing things up.

I'll start with the DRL's from Van-X.

For aftermarket units they're not bad at all. Only criticism is that there are gaps around the LED units that will allow water / road grit through so I sealed these at the back with Silicone sealant (reminds me, I must finish the bathroom :().

Removing the existing front panels was easy enough but then you have to start cutting.

Before:

After:

Once the unwanted plastic has been cut away - I used a Stanley knife (carefully) - fitting of the DRL units is pretty much 'plug and play'. The photocopy of the fitting instructions supplied wasn't brilliant but there is a PDF link on the Van-X website which is much clearer.

I swapped over the standard DRL bulbs for LED's at the same time for a white LED setup. There's a metal mounting bar that runs across the front of the vehicle just below where the radiator grille clips on. I mounted the control unit for the DRL's under this bar using a couple of self-adhesive Ty-wrap saddles and cable ties.

Cabling is pretty straightforward as long as you follow the instructions although I'd recommend using a crimp connector (not supplied in the kit) for the battery -ve connection. Job done. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looks great, bit confused as I thought when you fitted the new lights the old drl's didn't come on any more. I've got the led drl bulbs but would like the lower ones you've fitted, just thought only one set would come on .

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
They even look the same colour , well done Lucy T:

So many people have these fitted and still keep the original yellow filament bulbs in the headlights :rolleyes:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looking good :)

I pulled the original DRL bulbs from the headlight cluster after fitting the lightbar DRL, think the lightbar alone is ok for MOT purposes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great, bit confused as I thought when you fitted the new lights the old drl's didn't come on any more. I've got the led drl bulbs but would like the lower ones you've fitted, just thought only one set would come on .
Hi; the new DRL's are a completely separate installation and have their own control unit so the standard DRL's aren't affected. The new control unit takes power from the fuse box near the battery, the earth connection directly to the battery and a control line linked to the 12v feed to the headlights. When you switch the headlights on the new DRL's will dim to about 70% of their normal brightness. The standard DRL's will go off when you switch on side lights. There may be some difference between the ones I fitted and other kits which may work the way you describe. T:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They even look the same colour , well done Lucy T:

So many people have these fitted and still keep the original yellow filament bulbs in the headlights :rolleyes:
Cheers. LED bulbs from ebay - links below

Standard fit DRL LED replacements: eBay
Standard fit Side Light LED replacement: eBay

There are lots of LED bulb suppliers - just got to be careful you get the right ones! :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking good :)

I pulled the original DRL bulbs from the headlight cluster after fitting the lightbar DRL, think the lightbar alone is ok for MOT purposes.
I must admit I wondered about the MOT too but found this on a government blog.
"DLRs are designed to make vehicles more visible during daylight hours and are now common on vehicles of testable age. DRLs themselves are not covered by the manual and are therefore not testable items." A:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cheers. LED bulbs from ebay - links below

Standard fit DRL LED replacements: eBay
Standard fit Side Light LED replacement: eBay

There are lots of LED bulb suppliers - just got to be careful you get the right ones! :confused:
Sorry, which bulbs did you use to replace the headlight bulbs as my van (which had already been converted) has the LED bright DRLs but the standard headlamp (rather yellow) bulbs which look odd when both on?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts