VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start this thread off as I'm picking up an 8" touchscreen monitor tomorrow for £50.....Bargain :D

Basically this is what i'm building. (excuse the poor artistic skills I:)

Going to build a custom centre consol with fibreglass resin and either

Spray the same colour as the van

OR

Spray the same colour of the dash

Will update as i go T:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Vanputer build

Got my screen today :D

£50 off of a chap on ebayI:

8" tft touchscreen
Virtually new (taken out of the box and that's it)
12v powered not usb
load of leads
and a remote control

Just got to dig my power converter and mini pc out now and have decided to stick it under the passenger seat now. Bit more ventilation I:

Searchin most of the day looking for a good idea instead of the roller thing covering the screen and came across this
http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9331

He used a electric window winder motor etc to make a raising monitor :eek:

Bloody great idea T:
He did a youtube vid if your that interested (little bit long and drawn out but the priciple is definitely there.

Well next is the fibreglass centre console. Will update soon T:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Been looking at supplying power to the pc and looked at the different variations.

Inverter route
Plug in an inverter and job done

OR

with the inverter i would be converting the power from 12v DC upto 240 AC then the PSU (Power supply Unit) in the pc would convert it from 240 AC down to 12v DC.:eek: Seems a bit pointless dont it :*

SO looking into supplying it direct with a little circuit to save on power.

Something like this.

Check it out on eBay!

Will update once more is done T:

·
Registered
747 Posts

Been looking at supplying power to the pc and looked at the different variations.

Inverter route
Plug in an inverter and job done

OR

with the inverter i would be converting the power from 12v DC upto 240 AC then the PSU (Power supply Unit) in the pc would convert it from 240 AC down to 12v DC.:eek: Seems a bit pointless dont it :*

SO looking into supplying it direct with a little circuit to save on power.

Something like this.

Check it out on eBay!

Will update once more is done T:
Definately forget the inverter.

I've been using an Ituner M2-ATX 150 Watt power supply and its been going strong for nearly 4 years now. I also tap into the P4 connector to supply regulated 12 volts for my monitor, also means monitor shuts down automatically with the PC. Just changed the VB6002 + Pentium M Via motherboard for an Intel D945GCLF2 with dual core Atom 330 CPUs. Don't have any figures for power usage yet though as its not back in the van yet, original PC + monitor only used about 2 amps playing a film.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I've been using an Ituner M2-ATX 150 Watt power supply and its been going strong for nearly 4 years now. I also tap into the P4 connector to supply regulated 12 volts for my monitor, also means monitor shuts down automatically with the PC. Just changed the VB6002 + Pentium M Via motherboard for an Intel D945GCLF2 with dual core Atom 330 CPUs. Don't have any figures for power usage yet though as its not back in the van yet, original PC + monitor only used about 2 amps playing a film.

Inverter forgotten I:.......... What was i saying....oh never mind :D

2 amps sounds good though T:

I know it says chippy on my user name as i have been a carpenter for 15 years but when i left school i went to college for three years doing a micro-electronics and Telecommunications diploma I:
The messing around with electrics has never left my blood stream though lol. Should be an interesting build.

Thanks for your input Phoenix, much appreciated T:

All comments welcome everyone. (even you noobs that havn't posted yet, come on get involved :ILU:)

·
Registered
737 Posts

love the ideaof touch screen ,but what will you actully use it for in the van?? is it actully going to be a computer u can use while stationary or driving??

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

love the ideaof touch screen ,but what will you actully use it for in the van?? is it actully going to be a computer u can use while stationary or driving??
Both :D

I will use the Centrafuse software for music and video's on the go and then switch to the normal windows when i've got spreadsheets and emails to do when stationary.

Here is ta full centrafuse demo in operation.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Forgot to say,

On board VAGCOM aswell :D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hi Phoenix, been looking through the M2-ATX specs and it's deffo the way forward. Am i right in thinking i could use it to power the electric window motor for the screen aswell as powering up the screen?????

Also where did you get yours from and how much????

·
Registered
747 Posts

Hi Phoenix, been looking through the M2-ATX specs and it's deffo the way forward. Am i right in thinking i could use it to power the electric window motor for the screen aswell as powering up the screen?????

Also where did you get yours from and how much????
It was either Itx Wharehouse or lin itx, I can't remember as it was a fair while ago. Price wise it was about £50 See Here

If I remember right I think it has an amplifier power control so you could use that for power the electric window motor via a relay.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Right, been having a few more thoughts about what I'm using the vanputer for along with the cost/practicality balance.

The conclusion i have come to is:

I already have a laptop for use at home and work and quite often ferry the thing around from meetings to site and then home where its synchronised with the office pc.

So why not use the laptop as the vanputer :*

SO shopping list is as follows,

This for underneath the passenger seat (although the one i am getting has a power up button on it, so i'll re-route this to the M2-ATX 12v power supply that Phoenix mentioned,)

Check it out on eBay!

One of these to plug into the docking station

Check it out on eBay!

A terabyte usb hard drive for the movies and music, which i can get for £70 that stays in the bus.

Sound just gets put into the existing stereo's input

SO with this set up i can take the laptop out at night and at the dodgy site's i work on lol so that if god forbid the worst happened and the velle was nicked at least i'd have all me work data.

This might also be an idea for those that want this set up on the cheap and use your single din stereo with flip screen or a dvd set up that also has the valuable input connection.

Will update with anything more as i go T:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Just done my first trial run of the software and am posting this from me velle :D:D:D:D:D:D

WELL CHUFFEDT:T:T:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Right, hopefully secured an itx computer off of e bay for £40 :jd Bargain!!!! so going back to the pc being permanently in the van route. Bought the MDF for the centre console template and getting the fibreglass resin and hardener from the bay also.

Check it out on eBay!

Check it out on eBay!

Unless anyone knows of a cheaper place to buy it.

Next update will be the console with pics if anyone's interested T:

·
Registered
773 Posts

can you put up a link to what you have won so i know what am looking for. does this then just need touch screen and regulated power supply

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

can you put up a link to what you have won so i know what am looking for. does this then just need touch screen and regulated power supply
Pretty much fella. Just like a home pc really. computer, power, screen, mouse and keyboard. just so happends the keybourd and mouse is with the screen with a touchscreen.

Only thing with just the carputer is you will need an amplifier for the sound, or just do what i'm doing and use the input rca's on my existing stereo.

Then you just add to it with what you want it to do.
Play games = better graphics card
Internet = dongle
T.V = TV card

The possibilities are endless and no more scratched cd or dvd'sT:

Here's a buy it now one for £75 although it doesn't mention whether it has a chip, I'm just a stickler for a bargain :D

You don't really need to buy something that say's carputer on it either as its basiclly a mini itx pc. (smaller)

If you need anymore info bud give me a shoutT:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Just a thought mate. If your on a budget and have an old laptop why not try that route with a touchscreen???

·
Registered
368 Posts

Went for a zotac ION build myself. Well currently its my HTPC running xbmc, Idea being just unplug slide into van, and away we go. no sat nav etc as all thats on my htc mobile. Can even set the phone as a wifi hotspot for linking with the pc.
Just trying to find a 20 inch led monitor with external power block(enabling me to pop that into van too..

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Went for a zotac ION build myself. Well currently its my HTPC running xbmc, Idea being just unplug slide into van, and away we go. no sat nav etc as all thats on my htc mobile. Can even set the phone as a wifi hotspot for linking with the pc.
Just trying to find a 20 inch led monitor with external power block(enabling me to pop that into van too..
Sounds good buddy T:

Been looking into this pop up screen idea that won't leave my head today. After trawling ebay for something that will work on track with a 12v supply it finally hit me :eek:

Why don't i look at an electric sunroof and chop down the frame to suit my monitor, this would hold both sides of the screen and be a bit more stable for the touchscreen. Maybe try and incorporate a swivel into it aswell so instead of just popping out i can turn it round a bit to suit my angle.

Will keep you posted T:

·
Registered
191 Posts

Sounds good buddy T:

Been looking into this pop up screen idea that won't leave my head today. After trawling ebay for something that will work on track with a 12v supply it finally hit me :eek:

Why don't i look at an electric sunroof and chop down the frame to suit my monitor, this would hold both sides of the screen and be a bit more stable for the touchscreen. Maybe try and incorporate a swivel into it aswell so instead of just popping out i can turn it round a bit to suit my angle.

Will keep you posted T:
my last bus had a cab divider with an iron cross shaped window in it, we used a piece of red lexan and a very simple electric window motor from a scrappy (£5) and voila one powered window in the cab divider.

the electric window motor was very strong and lifteda lot more than the screen, i tried it out to see as we had intended building a rising screen into the cab divider at one point :)

cheers
paul :D

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

my last bus had a cab divider with an iron cross shaped window in it, we used a piece of red lexan and a very simple electric window motor from a scrappy (£5) and voila one powered window in the cab divider.

the electric window motor was very strong and lifteda lot more than the screen, i tried it out to see as we had intended building a rising screen into the cab divider at one point :)

cheers
paul :D
Cheers for that paul, did you use micro switches to tell the motor when to stop????

Got the idea in my head now so here goes;

with the M2 atx supply this turns the mini itx on and off with the ignition.
I use the amp supply from the M2 atx to power up the screen motor and microswitch to telll the motor to stop.

Just having trouble comprehending how i then get the motor to go the other way with a microswitch to stop it at the other end????

Should be simple i know as it's just like an electric Ariel but just can't get the grey matter settled:confused:

I could just have a switch to go up and down but that kinda defeats the object for me. Wanna jump in start her up and get going with it all doing it's own thing.

Anyone want to enlighten me with any idea's or am i just being stooopid:*

1 - 20 of 111 Posts