VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Ok, so here is the start of my Vanzee project. First job I decided to tackle was to remove the bulkhead so I could do a proper job of sound proofing and Insulating the van. I decided to use a foil backed foam as sound insulation, and then covered that with 25 or 50mm Celotex held in place by aluminium tape. That alone took nearly a week to completely shape all the blocks and fit them in neatly.

Bulkhead Removal

Foil backed closed cell foam for sound insulation and some heat insulation

Tackled some minor rust underneath the sliding door seal

Celotex Heat Insulation being cut and moulded into each recessed panel

Rear window tint (5% light transmission)

Next up is ply-lining and carpeting which I hope to have completed by the end of next week.

·
Registered
504 Posts
nice van m8, looks like mine did when i got it.

get a pic in the team x pack thread in the post a pic of your t4 section.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The styleline threshold kit arrived today, so first order of the day was to fit that. 45mins later and it was installed. Finishes the cab/back threshold off nicely and the colour match is pretty good for the door cards.

It's off to N Devon tomorrow to visit Si and Johnny at Individual Campers for a bit of a few cups of tea and some advice.....and of course to grab a surf/kite/freeride session in the evenings!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So it's been a few weeks now, work has progressed steadily (interrupted by a few jaunts to the coast and the mountains). I decided against keeping the styleline threshold kit, and carpeted the B pillars as I felt this gave a better finish/look to the van (but kept the step cover from the kit). Ply-lining and carpeting has been completed, and I managed to get hold of some contract flooring which I finished laying today.

I've installed a set of 12v blue LED lights along the edge of the headlining. What a hassle that was on the sliding door side with the double skins! Stoked with the look thou. Also had 50% film put on the front windows.

A big shout out to a few guys.......Si and Johnny at Individual Campers (a wealth of knowledge and second opinions......and what will be a BIG help when I come to abuse their time with some help sorting out the storage/bench inside shortly), also to Saj and the boys at Gwent VW for fitting the Autowatch alarm and tinting the fronts.

Next up is lowering and sorting out the storage/Bench inside.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Cheers guys......it's my first Van project so just trying to get it right first time is always a mission!

It's a 2003 (52 plate - German built) 2.5 TDi 888 X-Pack
How do you determine if its german built? are they not all built there?

cool van by the wayT:T:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok, so not much has gone on lately as have been running about with the kites and bikes in tow. I got the blue LED lighting wired in, fitted a map reading light in the front (along with a blue bulb for the main light) and also got the LED (again blue) lights fitted for the footwells and behind the sliding door step. These go into a little magic box and dim down on closing the doors...rather chuffed with that little one (thanks Dad!) Also fitted a headlight loom upgrade kit (from Upspex), it really did make a big improvement with the uprated bulbs so can recommend his kit (required some alterations to mount thru the existing plastic headlight covers thou).

Just a few pics from first nite on the beach. Sorry about quality but an iPhone is no SLR!

Back to work now....so next in line is fitting the eibach springs, B6 dampers and urethane lowering plates, uprated front torsion bars (again big thanks to Dad for finding these!) and move on to sorting out the rear storage/bench/bed.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Ok, so not much has gone on lately as have been running about with the kites and bikes in tow. I got the blue LED lighting wired in, fitted a map reading light in the front (along with a blue bulb for the main light) and also got the LED (again blue) lights fitted for the footwells and behind the sliding door step. These go into a little magic box and dim down on closing the doors...rather chuffed with that little one (thanks Dad!) Also fitted a headlight loom upgrade kit (from Upspex), it really did make a big improvement with the uprated bulbs so can recommend his kit (required some alterations to mount thru the existing plastic headlight covers thou).

Just a few pics from first nite on the beach. Sorry about quality but an iPhone is no SLR!

Back to work now....so next in line is fitting the eibach springs, B6 dampers and urethane lowering plates, uprated front torsion bars (again big thanks to Dad for finding these!) and move on to sorting out the rear storage/bench/bed.
Can't believe how clean your van is. Where did you get your uprated torsion bars and what are they off of?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cheers Snedboy.....took me ages to find a base van that clean to start from, and I am a fan of the factory look so trying to keep it clean and simple.

The BRAND NEW genuine VW torsion bars were an eBay bargain find. They are the 27,9mm (Violet - Part Number 701411103J and 701411104J) one's as fitted to the multivans/lowered suspension models and a few high payload models. If you do the sums they equate to a 47% uprate on the standard fit 25,3mm diameter (torsion in a solid bar increases to the power of 4 relative to diameter given that all other parameters remain constant)

1 - 20 of 149 Posts