VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at some second hand alloys - this is in the ad:

"the pdc is stud diameter 5,112 rim width 7j off set 38/45"

I asked the seller: How can a wheel have two different offsets? 38 and 45?

I got this reply:

"It means they can run between 38/45"

Can this be right? Would they need spacers to change the offset?

They aren't a lot of money, but I don't want to get lumbered with wheels I can't use.

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Cheers,

Vulch

·
Registered
137 Posts
Unfortunately lots of people don't, the amount of adverts that state fit 5 stud vehicle thinking they're all the same let alone width and offset! :*

·
Registered
44 Posts
A single wheel cant have a variable offset - the offset is what it is - but wheels can be different - Porsche wheels for example can have a different offset on rear to front ie 62 rear 55 front - Audi appear to have different offsets by model despite being same style - varying between 35 and 45 (ish).

For certain a single wheel can not have a varies offset. - ask vendor to check engravings on inside of wheel it should state ET

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. You have pretty much just confirmed what I thought was the case. If there are two at 38 and two at 45, I would not be be able to swap wheels front to back, would I. Which could be a bit of a pain if I want to use my best tyres on the front.

Thanks for all your help.

Vulch

·
Registered
137 Posts
You could swap them over just might end up with slightly more poke front or rear and could always compensate with a set of spacers if this bothered you (use hubcentric spacers) but you'd need to keep the wheels in pairs on an axle.
Check the figment on willtheyfit.com to see the difference against your existing wheels as they might not make enough difference to bother you, your only looking at +/-7mm sticking out/in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts