VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hello peeps,
I have a question about VAT.
I have just bought a Airflow meter from A VW dealer (cost £82.30 + VAT) and because the old one is still fitted they charged me a deposit (surcharge in their terms) refundable upon return of the old meter.
This surcharge was £45 (steep, as I was quoted £20 on Saturday, but I'll get it back so no probs)
However, they have charged me VAT on the surcharge (£9)
So, can they do this (they have :eek: ) and should I get the VAT back when I return the old unit?

I feel a bit miffed, as had I known I would have got it on Friday and walked in with the old one after removing it in the carpark LOL:

So can I legally romp in and request it back without looking like a ..........;)

Chris

·
Registered
84 Posts
Chris. VAT is a minefield. I run my own business and always try to make sure i comply, whenever i have an issue i call the helpline, all they say is its down to me to make the desicion. So i charge VAT on everything, that way i cant be wrong.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I expct all there sales through the till will be programmed to charge vat. I can see a problem with a refund unless the exchange part is shot.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
So the burning question is "What's an airmeter" and what's it for ? :* Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
They have to charge VAT on it, as if you don't return it, it will be classed as takings through the tills.

You will get returned whatever they took when you return the unit, same as anything else you return really.

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) Cheers Neal, that is what I'm hoping.

(Tony, it's what VW call the MAF (Mass AirFlow meter) )

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts