VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me where's the best place to get a Lead for VCDS (Can Bus version)

Reason being, I'm retro fitting a OED Multi Function steering wheel and need to code it.

I've found a post on how to but need to get my hands on a lead.

I have found one on ebay for around £60, is this the going rate?

Link to it here....

Custom order | eBay

I have a 2014 T5.1. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Martin

·
Special Rapporteur
9,178 Posts
Your link doesn't seem to go to the right place.

But anyway, VCDS is a product made by Ross-Tech LLC. If you go to Ross-Tech's website you can look at the products. If you want CANBUS compatibility, VCDS-Lite won't do, so you'll need a proper licensed product rather than a pirated version off Ebay.

As far as I can see, a £60 job off Ebay will be a dodgy copy, which will probably work initially, but may stop working at any point in the future. If you buy one of those, none of that £60 will go to the people that write the software and maintain it.

Ross-Tech's distributor list is given here:

Any other seller is pretty much certain to be selling bogus, unlicensed hooky copies.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,446 Posts
Like Triffic says, for 60 sovs that will be a snide copy, expect to pay around £360 for a genuine lead that will keep working past the next software update, I paid £270 for mine 4 odd years ago which I thought long & hard about at the time, but I've actually used it far more than I ever imagined & so have my boys! You may find someone local to you with the kit who may be willing to help you out, although maybe not at the moment!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If you don't mind being limited to limited to 3 chassis numbers (3 vehicles) you can get the full genuine version of the software with a high quality cable for £225 from Ross-Tech dealers. It is well worth it if you are keeping the van.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,446 Posts
Perhaps I paid £170 not £270, from Marshall Industries 🤷‍♂️, they had the best deal at the time, I can't believe it's actually got cheaper, but that was before it was limited how many vehicles you can use it on. The software is actually shareware, anyone can download it which has always struck me as very odd.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The 3 (or you can have 10 vin numbers) are just cheaper options for diy guys who just want to do a couple of family cars. The unlimited version is still the same price as far as I know. The software is free as you say but it is the genuine cable that unlocks it fully. The Chinese cables try and crack the software but are unreliable and some barely work or fail later. Some of the newest vans need a different cable so for anyone buying, it's well worth discussing which cable is right for you with a VCDS dealer first. Bluetooth is available now I believe. Updates are free for life, I've been updating mine for the last 19 years!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts