VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folk,

I have just had a look at my 2.5 AJT with VCDS lite mainly because the van is smoking loads. I got thee following results:

Group 004

775rpm
1.8 BTDC Requested
1.8-3.3 BTDC Actual
14.7% Duty Cycle

I have no idea what this means!!

Also there is the following fault code:

18009 - Relay For Voltage Terminal 30 (J317)
Implausible signal P1601-35-00

Any help is gratefully received as I would like to be forewarned before I go back to the garage who is giving me the runaround... It's a long story!!

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Is that with the engine fully up to temperature? It would suggest your timing is a little bit advanced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went for a drive around and then sat in van with it ticking over for 20mins afterwards and temp sat at just shy of 84c so not up to the full temp...

Would this cause it to be hesitant to start and chuck out massive cloud of exhaust when finally starting and then still smoke whilst running??

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I went for a drive around and then sat in van with it ticking over for 20mins afterwards and temp sat at just shy of 84c so not up to the full temp...

Would this cause it to be hesitant to start and chuck out massive cloud of exhaust when finally starting and then still smoke whilst running??
That's warm enough. I'd say your timing is a little advanced. That needs to be corrected first and then take things from there.

Unfortunately you can't do that with VCDS-Lite as you need to go into Basic Settings. Do you know anyone with a full copy?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately I don't know anyone with the full copy, I am in Edinburgh if there is anyone near by...

Could this timing issue be caused by the camshaft pulley bolt slipping??

Long story cut short:

I had timing done at VW Commercial Garage who said I had a 2.4 camshaft and cylinder head on my 2.5 engine causing the camshaft pulley to slip and put timing out so they just "locktighted" the bolt on. This has since been proved incorrect as they are totally different engines. So this leaves the possibility that the camshaft is a 2.4 and hence timing has slipped again.

The garage is being decidedly unhelpful about this and I am ed off as if they have glued the bolt onto the wrong camshaft then they have let me drive around in a ticking timebomb!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know anyone with the full copy, I am in Edinburgh if there is anyone near by...

Could this timing issue be caused by the camshaft pulley bolt slipping??

Long story cut short:

I had timing done at VW Commercial Garage who said I had a 2.4 camshaft and cylinder head on my 2.5 engine causing the camshaft pulley to slip and put timing out so they just "locktighted" the bolt on. This has since been proved incorrect as they are totally different engines. So this leaves the possibility that the camshaft is a 2.4 and hence timing has slipped again.

The garage is being decidedly unhelpful about this and I am ed off as if they have glued the bolt onto the wrong camshaft then they have let me drive around in a ticking timebomb!!
So just to confirm, you think you may have a 2.4 camshaft with a 2.5 head?

I'm afraid I don't know the differences between the two engines in that level of detail, so can't tell you if that's even possible. Hopefully some engine gurus will be along soon.

Can you see a part number on the camshaft pulley on the crankshaft side of the engine (left hand side as you look into engine)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea what I have, but the garage told me I had a 2.4 head and camshaft on my 2.5 engine... Said it would all work, but would be slightly down on power due to reduced cylinder size...

The only option left as far as what they have said is that the camshaft is from a 2.4 in a 2.5 engine...

Really not sure what to make of it!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hello,

I don't understand why it is that the cylinder size is any different - also if you had a 2.4 head then you'd have an IDI head on a TDI engine which makes no sense to me. If that were the case your pump must surely be connected to IDI injectors and would be a mechanical pump.

I suppose it's possible you had a head rebuild at some point with a 2.4d camshaft in a 2.5tdi head. I don't know about the differences of camshaft for IDI and TDI 5 cylinders I'm afraid.

I'm in Edinburgh and have VCDS and know a few things about these engines. I can come and have a look some time if that would be helpful for a second opinion. Hard starting with lots of smoke could be all sorts of things...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts