VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have had a cheapy lead and registered copy of vcds lite that I have had for years and used happily on my t4's to set timing and read measuring blocks and reset faults etc

I used it to cancel an airbag light on our 2006 polo, thought while it was out I would plug it into our new t5.1 2012 to see if any fault codes and it doesn't seem to work ? I plugged it back into the Polo and then in dads 2009 Touran and it works happily on both still ?

Is it non compatible with t5.1 do I need to start again with a new interface lead and different vcds version ?

Ta in advance !

·
Special Rapporteur
9,088 Posts
From memory, Ross-Tech do state that VCDS Lite is not comaptible with the facelift models, though I'm sure I've seen reports of it working. It may be down to the exact hardware in the dongle though. IIRC the main change on the facelift is that it no longer supports k-line, while the oldest of the T5s only support k-line and the ones in between can support both k-line and CAN.

If you're just wanting to do simple diagnostics, it may be cheapest just to abandon what you have, get a £3 Chinese ELM327 bluetooth dongle and use it with an app like Carista or Torque on your phone.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm thanks for the reply, thats a shame if it won't work it has been really useful over the years ! I am about to swap my steering wheel for a leather one and I would at least like to be able to reset airbag faults etc if I need too !

Would the Chinese bluetooth dongle be able to handle resets as well as read codes ?

What do facelift owners use...is there a newer version that reads CAN ?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Traffic had a quick look at the compatibility chart on ross tech and what you said looks true I will need to upgrade to newer lead... looks like the HEX-V2 Enthusiast may be what im after it's 199usd for 3 vehicles or 299 for 10 vehicles.

Is the Hex v2 what everyone else goes for with facelift ?

Cheers all !

Ps will also make use of the search button !

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You used to be able to get cloned VCDS leads that were locked to a specific version of the software. Highly unsavory as they are pirating the efforts put into the software by RossTech. Beware of these as they may not offer the full functionality, but some people manage with them.
If you are in it for long term VAG ownership, then genuine RossTech is the way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts