VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Matt black powdercoated side bars from vee dub transporters... 11 months on the van and the powdercoat is flaking off in chunks on the passenger side, however the drivers side is still mint. Has anyone else had any issues?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I did email them...
many thanks for your recent email. Unfortunately there is no warranty given with this item. I would however if you have not already, get some mud flaps fitted as this will help with the stone chips, and would recommend repairing any chips before they spread, as one small chip will in time expand.
Hope this helps.

Well it doesn't effin help!
Now when I purchased I'm pretty certain there wasn't anything on the sales site stating there was NO warranty, however it now says...
Unfortunately due to the many conditions these bars are subjected to we can not offer any warranty on powder coated bars.

Also says...
Excellent value compared to genuine VW bars and look absolutely stunning.
We truly believe these are the best aftermarket sport line bars in the uk!!
We know you can buy them cheaper, but “buy cheap buy twice!”

Well I didn't buy cheap and I'm having to buy twice, but not off veedub

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
They are talking hogwash. Sale of Goods act states that items sold must be "fit for purpose". Since the sidebars are meant to lurk around in the rain/grit/snow/salt they must be capable of withstanding the onslaught for a reasonable period. Less than a year is not reasonable.

That's the easy bit. The hard bit is getting the law enforced. Small claims court is your best bet.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Mud flaps won't help in the slightest , what complete rubbish . We have only had good things to say about this supplier before , but this clearly demonstrates that they give a flying duck for the end user . Poor quality powder coating/ little or no surface prep is clearly what has happened in this case .

Shame , the lack of knowledge and customer back up will cost them dearly in the near future !!

Pretty sure if you took them to a proper powder coating company , they would shot blast and re coat with good results ... I know you shouldn't need to but supplier doesn't look like he's going to help ??

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
They are talking hogwash. Sale of Goods act states that items sold must be "fit for purpose". Since the sidebars are meant to lurk around in the rain/grit/snow/salt they must be capable of withstanding the onslaught for a reasonable period. Less than a year is not reasonable.

That's the easy bit. The hard bit is getting the law enforced. Small claims court is your best bet.
I complained about this when they were traders on this forum, but every post I made was deleted. The forum admin also gave this trader my personal details, in contravention of the data protection act ( which is totally meaningless). They don't understand the sale of goods act or the distance selling rules and even if they do, they don't give a damn about it. :eek:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Mud flaps won't help in the slightest , what complete rubbish . We have only had good things to say about this supplier before , but this clearly demonstrates that they give a flying duck for the end user . Poor quality powder coating/ little or no surface prep is clearly what has happened in this case .

Shame , the lack of knowledge and customer back up will cost them dearly in the near future !!

Pretty sure if you took them to a proper powder coating company , they would shot blast and re coat with good results ... I know you shouldn't need to but supplier doesn't look like he's going to help ??
You have supported this trader so many times over the years, so what has changed :*
The only reason that you have "only heard good things" is because this forum deleted all the bad things

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same problem
My side bars are now 15 months old and have more rust on them than out else
I have pics of mine and the mud flap situation would not change it as they are rotten front to back !
Looks like I'm going to have to buy again and have taken them off the van

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
You have supported this trader so many times over the years, so what has changed :*
The only reason that you have "only heard good things" is because this forum deleted all the bad things

Not quite what I said , slight mis-quote

Didn't say I'd " only heard good things" I said I'd " only got good things to say " This was based on my own experiences of buying from them , hardly "many times over the years" either .:*

Atoms are not the only onesI:

·
Registered
144 Posts

As above, bought mine in bare metal. Cost nearly as much for powder coat as the bars cost to begin with. That was best part of 2 years ago (not a mark on them)
Kev

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See there asking for pics of customer vans on the Facebook page, how long do you think some pics of my van with there crappy bars would stay up for? I:I:I:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
See there asking for pics of customer vans on the Facebook page, how long do you think some pics of my van with there crappy bars would stay up for? I:I:I:

Not long before the post get deleted and the user blocked :mad::(

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Mine are 18 months old and rusted all along, mud flaps will not solve this issue , will be removing them this week before they fall off....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Stainless steel shouldn't rust. It's most likely very low grade Chinese rubbish made down to the lowest quote not upto any standard.

When Chinese firms send samples and quotes you will almost always find once they are told to go ahead they make the first order to the agreed spec and then slowly lower the grade of materials and process's so that they make more profit per unit and the end user loses out.

Without decent and regular quality control from the buyer the manufacturer will quickly drop quality in favour of profit EVERYTIME!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Did you buy them with a creditcard? You may have some buyer protection there. Sale of goods act means they have to be fit for purpose, good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
ive had the same problem with veedub and the black sport line bars they couldn't give a monkeys

never told me about no warranty when i bought them

just had them re powder coated and the painter informed me there was no undercoat on them ,they were just coated on to the metal and very poorly at that i might add

i wouldn't deal with this company again that's just my opinion beware not fit for purpose

1 - 20 of 52 Posts