VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAVE BEEN THE PROUD OWNER OF A 1.9 TDI 800 SPECIAL WHICH I BOUGHT BRAND NEW FROM CORDWALLIS WHAT A GR8 LITLE VAN AND I HAVE USED THIS VAN FROM THE DAY I BOUGHT IT TO PRESENT FOR MY ELECTRICAL WORK AS A SUB CONTRACTOR / CONTRACTOR, RECENTLEY WITH THE COST OF FUEL RISING I HAVE HAD TO LOOK AT EXACTLEY HOW IM DOING MY WORK AS COSTING FUEL INTO A BUSSINESS TRYING TO SURVIVE WAS GETTING QUITE DIFFICULT WITH THE COSTING OF JOBS, HOWEVER IM NOW GLAD TO SAY I HAVE STUMBLED UPON AND AM NOW USING IT ALL THE TIME VEGGIE OIL AND HAVE JUST COMPLETED MY FIRST 281.1 MILES AND IT DIDNT COST ME A FRATION OF FORCOURT PRICES AND AS FAR AS I CAN SEE I WONT EVER BE GOING TO THE PETROL STATIONS EVER AGAIN, IF ANY BODY WOULD LIKE ADVICE I WOULD BE MORE THAN WILLING TO SHARE WITH YOU ALL, VAN RUNS GR8 IF NOT BETTER ...LOL: AND HOW PLEASENT TO BE ABLE TO Rasp: RO THE EXCHEQUER.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you got engine managment or not but i have a friend who can get round that, if not its as easy as 1 2 3,, have made a little preheat pipe for the diesel or vegi oil prior to going into the v.a.g filter as when i first tried it clogged up as the oil was to cold with the position of the filter, since then iv had no problems no need for any special filters , and there is no more of that dirty diesel smell as this oil dont smell of anything unpleasent.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi guys, been running vegoil in my 2.5Tdi with the ACV motor and to date no issues to report, make sure you have a bosch fuel pump. there is no conversion done at all it doesn't run through a heater before being burnt. In warmer months I run it 100% vegoil (I get it from my local Bookers for £20'ish for 20 litre...no VAT) but at moment you can get 5lt from Tesco for £4.50 so 90p per ltr. In colder months the oil can get a little thicker so I put diesel straight into the tank to make it a 75/25 oil/diesel blend. You will need to replace the fuel filter after 5-600miles as veg oil will clean the tank and lines out and it all ends up in the filter...easy job to replace just remember to fill it up with fuel before you install it. Smells like a chip shop but who cares I'm saving 47p'ish per litre. Some will say what price a new pump if it shags it but if that happens it happens, my vans done 153k so it's more likely that would be the reason and not oil. Its a leap of faith when you first try it...I started on a small amount of a 50/50 blend to see if it would run okay...it did so I increased the ratio to favor oil and so it went on until I was on 100%. Give it a go.T:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
try getting your oil for nothing it works out much cheeper than buying from booker or anyware else, no diesel at all 100% thats the idea for saving money , the diesel engine was designed to run on oil any oil, that would be why diesel is called heavey oil, preheat pipe just turns the oil into a thinner substance prior to going into your injectors just like the pump does only this way you can be sure summer or winter your oil is at its thinnest so as to vapourise prior to combustion, making running on oil far more cost effective, as for chip shop smell sure when i started on ktc and new oil, used veggie oil is the way to go, heating the oil keeps the filter clean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi guys, been running vegoil in my 2.5tdi with the acv motor and to date no issues to report, make sure you have a bosch fuel pump. There is no conversion done at all it doesn't run through a heater before being burnt. In warmer months i run it 100% vegoil (i get it from my local bookers for £20'ish for 20 litre...no vat) but at moment you can get 5lt from tesco for £4.50 so 90p per ltr. In colder months the oil can get a little thicker so i put diesel straight into the tank to make it a 75/25 oil/diesel blend. You will need to replace the fuel filter after 5-600miles as veg oil will clean the tank and lines out and it all ends up in the filter...easy job to replace just remember to fill it up with fuel before you install it. Smells like a chip shop but who cares i'm saving 47p'ish per litre. Some will say what price a new pump if it shags it but if that happens it happens, my vans done 153k so it's more likely that would be the reason and not oil. Its a leap of faith when you first try it...i started on a small amount of a 50/50 blend to see if it would run okay...it did so i increased the ratio to favor oil and so it went on until i was on 100%. Give it a go.t:
weather it is summer or winter you need to heat up your oil prior to being injected, waste veggie oil being the cheepest as in for nothing, so preheaters that heat the oil upto 90 makes the oil thinner and more prone to vapourising prior to combustion this is the most economical way of using bio or wvo svo, it is thinner, so no need to blend or anything , pure 100% free running of your van no more queing at the pumps to pay silly prices infact no more paying at all, freedom from the pumps, and all 100% legal

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You don't have to heat it up, t4 owners on here have been running it for years and IMO are proof they know what they are talking about. I have done 4k miles last year using veg oil after reading advice on here :cool:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did read that and found it a very interesting read, so much so that just like with most if not all drivers who observe the speed limit of todays highways and byways, i have given this document the merit it deserves, i should contact my local hmrc to pay revenue on an oil that is on the one hand taxed as close to fuel duty as you can get and its a food produce and on the other hand it was going to be thrown away as waste.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
hi mate i have a 2.4 non turbo can i run mine on veg oil if so how, and what do i need? happy new year..
i have a 95 2.4 and i just put it in but u must make sure ur fule pump is bosh and change the filter . mine runs better on veg oil but dont half smell funny lol

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
All I'm trying to say is that if you post on a forum that its 100% legal and it aint then some poor sod is going to read it and get himself into trouble. I use veggie oil and I know the risks, now im not saying its like red diesel but if you get caught using veggie oil without paying the duty then you will be fined :* simples I:

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
mine runs all year on cold veg oil but in winter i have to put some dev in or its bit hard to start , i keep logs of all oil i put in and then if or when i need to i can show what i used with out the risk of getting done for tax dodging or whatever they will do lol im sure no one will let u drive around with out paying ,

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Keeping a log is nonsence fella, duty must be paid before fuel is used (like at the pump)
some say you can use 2500ltr without paying duty, this is not true
people need to read the facts on using veggie oil as saying some bloke on the T4 forum said its legal won't get you your van back

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
keeping a log is nonsence fella, duty must be paid before fuel is used (like at the pump)
some say you can use 2500ltr without paying duty, this is not true
people need to read the facts on using veggie oil as saying some bloke on the t4 forum said its legal won't get you your van back
using 2500 ltrs of bio diesel is 100% true the tax man allows this much for road use, the reason he allows this is very simples , he knows people are using it and producing it, he also knows that they cant dip ur tank to find out as it just shows up as oil, if you produce bio diesel he asks that you keep a log of how much you produce and anything over 2500 ltrs is liable for duty to be paid, now im not asking or would i like anybody to get into hot water over this issue however what i would like to say it that using 100% oil is ok and the only treason i use a preheat pipe is so i dont have to use any diesel at all, no clogged filters or any of the other horror storys, im only passing on that we can all enjoy the use of our vans with out being held to ransom by a money grabbing government whom themselves dont pay for fuel, i myself cany afford to run an electrical bussines with todays fuel prices , so if i can i will and to date i am and as far as i can tell i havent broken any laws doing what i and many other moterists are doing, i dont want to pay and keep paying the way things are going at the moment, so whilst i can run on 100% waste oil and not harm anybody or break any laws other than 1 the says if i do i must inform them at once, likley next it will be if you should break the speed limit just pop into a police station and let us know ..

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
The bottom line on the 2500 litre figure is that the taxman will struggle to prove how much you use unless you're using a serious amount, like running a taxi firm and not buying any road fuel at all. The rules are there to protect the revenue from large scale tax avoidance, not from small scale recycling. 2500 litres should be enough for 17000 miles pa or more so it's not an unreasonable "limit" even if it's difficult to enforce.

just my tuppence worth

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
These are the UK rules. Take your fully legit bio converted truck into France and regardless of what UK paperwork you have the Douanne will hit you with a big fine the instant their little noses twitch at the Chip Shop smell.

I run an AJT 2.5 and despite having run an IVECO for years on rape oil, I fill it at the diesel pump.

I can say thought fro running the IVECO you are far better off mixing unleaded with the cooking oil than diesel at a rate of about 10 : 1 it will run fine in the depths of winter. Diesel has to be around 25%

So you pay more for it and have to add more of it too.

Rhys

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These are the UK rules. Take your fully legit bio converted truck into France and regardless of what UK paperwork you have the Douanne will hit you with a big fine the instant their little noses twitch at the Chip Shop smell.

I run an AJT 2.5 and despite having run an IVECO for years on rape oil, I fill it at the diesel pump.

I can say thought fro running the IVECO you are far better off mixing unleaded with the cooking oil than diesel at a rate of about 10 : 1 it will run fine in the depths of winter. Diesel has to be around 25%

So you pay more for it and have to add more of it too.

Rhys
if you have a heater pipe you need not mix with anything , i cant see what is so hard to understand, 100% veggie oil dosent clog if it is heated by a pre heat pipe.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a 1.9 td running on 100% SVO, it runs perfectly BUT I have a twin tank set up, SVO in the main tank and derv in a 20l tank in the rear. I have a 6 way valve for flow and return of the relevant fuels to the correct tanks, I start the van on derv untill its at 90 degree then switch to SVO, and if im leaving the van to totally cool down i will switch back to derv to flush the SVO from the fuel system to re start on Derv.
Rape seed is 7 times thicker than Derv at 15 degree and at 5 degree it starts to get too thick to use so it DOES need heated in the winter or it will kill the injection pump and clog the filters, I have a heated filter and heat ex changer heated by the engine cooling system to warm the SVO to about 75 degrees .
The van starts and runs perfectly at -15 too!! as tested a couple of weeks ago in Scotland.
Also if you use veggie boost in the SVO it raises the octane by a few points, also advance the timing a couple of degrees too it makes a HUGE difference!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts