VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day all,
We're the owners of a '91 T4 camper (self-build) and have enjoyed many camping holidays in England and France - until recently. In Arachon we had our wallets stolen from in the locked glovebox in our locked van. Apparently it's a hotspot. I know it's stupid that we left them in the van, but running down a sand dune the size of a mountain with your worldly possessions hasn't got the appeal.

To thwart the next bugulary attempt, I'm proposing to make a safe integral to the driver/passenger swivel seat base. My thought is for the safe door to open only when the vehicle door is open, thereby allowing a safety deposit box style steel draw to be withdrawn. The goal is to fit our digital SLR camera in and sundry bits. Possibly a laptop.

Has this been done before? If so who sells them? Alternatively, I'll make my own.

I appreciate your wisdoms on this idea.

regards
Puggo

PS. I'm a qualified automotive engineer working in vehicle safety, so the structural aspect of the seat base will be approved and certified if I do my own.

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
You can buy swivelling seat bases with a strong box built in, however I think it doesnt face to the side, an idea I think is excellent.

I have a rucksack safe too, basically a wire net. Just for my less valuable, valuable stuff.

Screwfix do some nice safes at £20 or so which may fix under a seat. I have one tucked away in my van, somewhere.....hidden.

But if you did do the safe to the side thingy then adding a bike lock chain through the door handles would make it even harder to get the doors open then access to your valuables. One thing thiefs do is open all the doors so they can get out easily if rumbled.

One thing to do is take pics of your documents, passport, tickets, insurance, even contact numbers for banks etc and email it to your self. That way you can always get your docs or copies easily.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
That sucks..................

Cool sand dune though ehT: I love Arcahon have had some great waves down the coast at mimizan in the past aswell :ILU:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,
Im also after a seat safe, does anybody know if one is available without the swivel for the drivers seat.
Thanks

·
Registered
670 Posts
How about a steel bar (half inch diameter) with a hole drilled through one end for a padlock, and a flat plate welded on the other end.

Two holes either side of your seat base, and weld a plate on the back. Nothing any size could get through..........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi lads,

Thanks for your comments on the seat safe. I've taken all your ideas on board and will probably go ahead making one.

We're looking to convert a T5 next year to replace our lovely T4. She's a bit tired at 187k miles and plenty off-roading in Pyrennes, Alps and finding quiet campsites in France. So I'll do both a T4 and T5 version.

cheers
Puggo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts