VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question a while ago about getting some air in the back of the van, but I've only just got round to fitting roof rails, so before I fit my new ceiling, now seems to be a good time to have a fresh look at some form of low profile air vents in the roof. If anyone can offer any suggestions on suitable vents for the back of the van I'd be grateful.

Cheers, Al.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The sunroof option is definitely on the cards, but when I do it'll be in the front & I'm thinking more along the lines of venting the rear. I don't know what difference a sunroof will make, but the back of the van is well stuffy even with the front windows part open (& silver screens) & the sliding door ajar (With awning), so I reckon we need to get some airflow through the van from the back so there's air working it's way through the van rather than circulating around the front. I put a door chain on the barn doors so we can leave them ajar, but I need to ditch the bike rack to open the doors. One job leads on to another. Sound familiar???

Cheers, Al.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Good point Alan. I have to say it can get uncomfortably hot in the back when driving, and also when sleeping. I would be open to some suggestions on this to.

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
I had a sunroof fitted in the front today T:

Zoe (aged 7) confirmed that she could feel the breeze in the back when we were travelling along with it completely out. Can't vouch for the effect of it when it's just popped up but it was nice today (hot) and the temperature in the van was actually very comfortable when it usually starts to bake on sunny days.

The added bonus of course is you don't get nearly half as bad a windrush noise with the sunroof in comparison to the windows being open :)

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just put roof rails on the back & will be fitting some sort of (Undecided flat /semi flexible) solar panels on the rear part of the roof so a sunroof at the back isn't an option. I looked at these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130752320028?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 but I don't want do cut a hole in the roof if it's not gonna perform. If anyone has anything like this in their vans, I'd be interested in their comments.

The other thoughts are of putting vents in the rear doors to draw cold air in at the back to vent at the front. Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem...cant understand why the previous owner fitted two sealed windows...especially when it comes to using the cooker/boiling the kettle.
Did wonder about fitting a sun roof in back... but the idea of cutting a huge hole is slightly daunting to say the least. what about fitting a couple of those plastic vents that you see in houses ?? I think you can also get them in brass plate....another thing to consider : a sky light ?? I took a look at the vents on ebay...they look stylish and are affordable but they are always open...that would be a prblem for me as it will let cold air in and also unwanted noise.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I've just put roof rails on the back & will be fitting some sort of (Undecided flat /semi flexible) solar panels on the rear part of the roof so a sunroof at the back isn't an option. I looked at these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130752320028?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 but I don't want do cut a hole in the roof if it's not gonna perform. If anyone has anything like this in their vans, I'd be interested in their comments.

The other thoughts are of putting vents in the rear doors to draw cold air in at the back to vent at the front. Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Al
Im thinking of fitting two solar panels, and a rear sunroof, i dont see why they all wouldnt fit?

But i am yet to find the right solar panels yet,,thinking less is more say, two 80w panels, and a rear (but not very rear) sunroof so if im sleeping with my head next to the back doors the sun roof isnt directly above, but one panel towards the front of the van..

·
Registered
747 Posts

Al
I've got one of those - see here boosted with an 80mm pc fan (you could fit a 120mm one if required), on a 2 speed switch. It definitely makes a difference when you sleep in the van if you leave it on the low speed which is also very quiet. I've painted mine black so it doesn't let in any light. I couldn't say whether makes much of a difference when driving along but probably helps.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hi Alan
I have just got back from 10 days in Spain and ventilation is top of my to do list before going abroad again.... M:
We had a couple of really hot nights,it must have been between 20/25* all night.
I too have been thinking about somehow venting the rear doors of the van.
I'll be interested to see what this thread turns up.Going to get on the case myself in the next few days.
All the best T:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a Hollandia tilt and slide sunroof in the back, of course it's knackered so permanently shut, it's on my to-do list to fix, but for now I got two 12V suction cup fans off Ebay, just stick them to the inside of the rear and side windows and it makes life a lot easier in the back A:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm in very hot and humid France at the moment and we have a sliding door window which makes a big difference to airflow when driving at speed but I reckon a rear sunroof is the best bet so I'm doing that as soon as we return. Sleeping can be a bit sweaty without windows open and a breeze coming through. Find the right spot and it can be arranged as long as you aren't afraid of bogeymen coming in the night (which my wife is)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Make or buy a tail gate stand off bracket, costs pence to knock up. Someone was selling them on here at one point.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've seen the tailgate brackets in another post & they're definitely a god idea. I've got barn doors on mine so not an option for me. Phoenixsp1 has confirmed what I hoped would work, so I'm going to put one of the marine vents in with a PC fan on a speed controller. All we need now is a summer!

Thanks, Al.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I've seen the tailgate brackets in another post & they're definitely a god idea. I've got barn doors on mine so not an option for me. Phoenixsp1 has confirmed what I hoped would work, so I'm going to put one of the marine vents in with a PC fan on a speed controller. All we need now is a summer!

Thanks, Al.

I'm getting very close to putting the ceiling in my Crafter build. I obviously have more space helping ventilation, and I have insulated to the hilt, but the Seitz roof light is at the front, away from sleeping heads.

I like the idea of the marine vent, but if its 'open' how much of a difference is it going to make when cold; because lets face it, if your like me weekending in the UK - its cold a lot, and I would think that a 'little' draft on a warm day feels like a gust on a cold day.

I was thinking of utilising a computer case fan at roof level at the rear, just to 'move' air. Possibly taking air from a tube from an outside source.

On the T4 I could have taken the tube from the gap to the outside that the cable can go through when hook-ups are placed behind the fog light. A tube from there up to the top corner would bring cooler outside air in or hot air out. But the crucial difference is the air changes. On the crafter I don't know where I have that 'hole'.

...and a thought from the thread above about sunroof use. On anything other than a clear night, a sunroof will let in drips of condensation and rain. Surely reducing the use? Window vents have lips on them to prevent this. I fitted a Seitz 40cm rooflight and its fantastic. Not cheap, but also has a fly screen and blind. The 'anti-midge' fly screen in Wales and the Highlands being a very, very important addition.

Lastly, on my T4 I used vents that at on top of a lowered door window, which worked very well. I've never seen another rig using them, so I kept them. Fit and forget, with a noticeable difference, I'm going to buy a Crafter set now. As seen 'just' in this pic:

Any other ideas/solutions from others would be excellent to see...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I posted a question a while ago about getting some air in the back of the van, but I've only just got round to fitting roof rails, so before I fit my new ceiling, now seems to be a good time to have a fresh look at some form of low profile air vents in the roof. If anyone can offer any suggestions on suitable vents for the back of the van I'd be grateful.

Cheers, Al.
I've put in one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAMMA-MOTORHOME-CARAVAN-ROOF-LIGHT-WHITE-VENT-40-x-40cms-/380458556522?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item589518dc6a#ht_5316wt_876

Check it out on eBay!

Was a brown trouser moment cutting the hole in the roof - but really happy i did.

Sealed with tiger seal, and held in with 30 or so marine grade stainless steel hex bolts. It permanently vents, has a fixed fly screen, and you can leave it open when parked with no security risk. T:

But, measure the spines in your roof - mine is a lwb, and only fits in one place.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Iv got 2 sunroofs in my van and opening door Windows didn't hear the kids complain once that they were too hot on holiday I would have thought Sunroor would be a good option as hear rises

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts