VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a DIY conversion in a T5 and am trying to decide which fridge to use. I am considering a 3 way fridge as I spend time off grid but want to avoid the unsightly grills on the outside. Does anyone know if they can be vented through the floor?

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,519 Posts
A few years since I had a caravan with a 3 way fridge but from memory I don't see how as the heat dissipates by natural convection so the hot air outlet needs to be higher than the top of the radiator, I think the gas exhaust comes out of the top grill too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a 3-way fridge in our t4 motorhome. 3 way fridges are not very efficient. The hot side gets very hot (it's got a gas burner on it). Unless the hot side can dissipate easily it just ends up heating the inside of the van and heating up the contents of the fridge too!.

On ours we fitted the massive electrolux/dometic grills and a fan. We also insulated the surrounding area of the fridge too. This dropped the internal fridge temperature by 3 degrees.

Our mates have a T5 with a 12v compressor based fridge. It runs much cooler and doesn't heat up the van so much in the summer.

If I had the option I would go with a compressor based fridge.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,307 Posts
As Roger says, the gas flue needs to vent at the top - you can't make hot air go down without some sort of forced vent system, which no 3-way fridge that I know of has.

In years gone by it was acceptable to vent the hot air inside the vehicle - though you still needed a flue higher up. That's not allowed now, as far as I'm aware.

As chiron suggests, a compressor fridge (and plenty of solar panel capacity) would be a better bet.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I agree with all the above but the saving grace of a absorption fridge is it's quiet with all three power sources. My 3 way caravan fridge works pretty well now since I replaced a few connectors on the ignition control unit and some parts on the burner but it does worse (on gas) in extreme heat. It should be room-sealed but it barely is and despite using a 12v fan and both grilles off it does struggle in hot temps. (32+ degrees). I don't know if compressor fridges are better these days but I like my beauty sleep!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts