VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any thoughts on getting some air flow to the battery, which I guess is bubbling away in the cupboard in the back of the van ,possibly producing explosive gases??Just a thought,not trying to put the sh1 2s up people.

Cheers

Rob:cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
hi mate =when batteries charging it creates hydrogen gas which is very explosive , best way to vent is via tube through floor, real easy mod & keeps u safe

·
Registered
758 Posts
having a vent hole in the floor works with LPG because it is heavier than air. hydrogen is lighter than air - think hindenburg airship!. Ideally the battery should have a tube connected to the top which you could extend down and outside, but if not the gases will rise to the highest point in the van

i used a brushless 12v computer fan (no sparks) to blow any gases from a sealed battery box through a ducting - 1 1/2" plastic waste pipe - to the outside. computer fans use very little power and make hardly any noise :ILU:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mine is just vented through the floor with some vinyl tube and fittings that I got from South coast koi shop in totton near you, cost about two quid.

Battery vent tubes are vinyl tube and fish tank fittings which exit under the van.

Not all connected yet but you get the idea, I moved the pump into a different area now as i figured
it was not a good idea to put it so close to the mains unit.

·
Registered
229 Posts
deep cylce batteries are semi sealed. a proper leisure battery should not give off much gas at all.

I have not bothered. its only a really knackered old battery that will out gas loads.

·
Registered
659 Posts
wouldnt bother doing that my opinion its a waste of time
For about two quid and five minutes work Id rather be safe than sorry, thats a rather uninformed statement given that you know nothing about the battery installation in question, it could be in a sealed box for all you know which would be full of gas in a couple of hours charging, I have seen a hydrogen air mix explode and its seriously destructive even in small quantities. If the battery is under the bonnet or in a well ventilated area then I agree there is no need to vent but if its contained in a tight space then you could get a buildup.

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Ive had a battery blow on me, albeit one under a bonnet. Big bang, acid everywhere, broke the bonnet catch, lifted the bonnet, big fright.

thats why I keep my leisure battery under the bonnet, m uncortable with it being inside the van, but insides OK if located sensibly. Ie, if under the front seat sheilding should prevent acid going on legs from behind....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers All for your ideasA: I shall have a think about where and how I mount my leisure battery a bit more carefully.

Thanks for your help as always T:

·
Registered
747 Posts
deep cylce batteries are semi sealed. a proper leisure battery should not give off much gas at all.

I have not bothered. its only a really knackered old battery that will out gas loads.

Any type of lead acid battery is subject to gassing when its charged, the semi sealed ones / sealed ones just have vents that open when the pressure builds up. So ANY battery should not be contained in an unventilated enclosure and shouldn't come into contact with an open flame.

If for instance the regulator on your alternator packed up, your batteries suddenly get more than its 14.4 volts and will start serious gassing as the electrode boils. The guy who says its a waste of time venting, obviously hasn't seen what happens when a battery explodes. All I can say is, good luck!

·
Registered
758 Posts
waste of time venting batteries? even during normal charging the battery puts off a small amount of gas. if you have a charging fault however...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvLnoeQIsvk

I cannot believe the guy stood around videoing it! - i would have shut the ignition off and stood well back.

because if it does go bang...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts