VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've just bought a Dometic RF60 fridge to install and from other threads i have the impression that without external vents, the fridge wont function properly whether on gas or electric. Any comments?

I'm reluctant to hack into the side of the van for vents, but I'll do it if push comes to shove!:eek:

Has anybody avoided this by having less obvious means of ventilation (maybe in the floor??).

Otherwise, does anyone know where I can get a blue or black vent, so at least it might blend in with the bodywork a bit!?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'd really appreciate any comments and advice from anybody here!:)

Many thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Reimoboy.
Does anyone know if there are any specific vent requirements for MOT? I've noticed some other T4's having two external vents, one at floor level and one directly underneath (where a side window could be fitted)?

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
Fridges etc are not tested in an MOT. 2 vents is the correct method to use as you describe. Cooler air is drawn in through the lower vens and air that has been warmed by the fridge can escape through the top vent.

If you don't want any vents in your van then you would be best to sell the fridge you have got and buy a compressor fridge.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I'd be supprised if there were any mot requirements for vents for a fridge!

it will only work to it's best potential with the vents installed as prescribed. how ever i have seen vans that have ventilation in the floor - maybe with aditional supply and extract via a 12v fan?

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
Just had a look at the fridge you have and it is a portable one and not for permanent installation

Quote "RF 60 portable upright fridge units must NOT be used on GAS in motor vehicles and boats"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi. I'm looking at buying one of these. Did you find
Out how long it will last on a 110 leisure battery?
I hear mixed figures about this and I would want to use one with having to use a 240v hook up.

Thanks

Hi everyone,
I've just bought a Dometic RF60 fridge to install and from other threads i have the impression that without external vents, the fridge wont function properly whether on gas or electric. Any comments?

I'm reluctant to hack into the side of the van for vents, but I'll do it if push comes to shove!:eek:

Has anybody avoided this by having less obvious means of ventilation (maybe in the floor??).

Otherwise, does anyone know where I can get a blue or black vent, so at least it might blend in with the bodywork a bit!?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'd really appreciate any comments and advice from anybody here!:)

Many thanks.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I use a similar 3-way fridge and have adapted and extended the flue so that it goes up and out the window above it thru an aperture cut into a plate that slots into my sliding (caravelle) window. Can post some pics if you're interested.

Compressor fridges are very good, but a gas fridge can run for two weeks on a 4.5kg gas bottle. If you plan on doing any more than 3 or 4 nights camping at sites with no hook-up, gas is the way to go.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi. I'm looking at buying one of these. Did you find
Out how long it will last on a 110 leisure battery?
I hear mixed figures about this and I would want to use one with having to use a 240v hook up.

Thanks
Having now installed the fridge and tested it on a six week trip to Spain I found that it would last around 6 hours on a 110 Ah battery, but I mostly used it on gas when stationary and 12v when driving. It cools brilliantly well on gas even when the temp is in the low 30's outside! I had installed two decent sized vents in the side of the van behind the fridge and obviously the flue vent as well as the fridge just wouldnt have cooled enough without them. Used it on a 240V hookup a few times and it seemed to cool nicely, but not as quickly as it did on gas.
Great fridge though! Good luck. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any chance of some images please I know there's some down sides regards vents in the sides etc but prefer to spend money on something else if I can use a gas bottle for that long. Not sure I'd be away for more than 7 days and can't imagine being that remote.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,133 Posts
Insurance nightmare if not installed by a registered fitter....so add another 200 quid onto the price of the fridge! :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have LPG on your vehicle , are you able to able to run the fridge off LPG from the main gas tank ? if u have a petrol tank you could switch to petrol if your out of gas , same with some can get the round LPG tanks mounted underneath , surely there would have to be some solenoid to switch between fridge and engine .I just dont know if its a safe think for road safety

1 - 12 of 12 Posts