VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads

just wonderign if anyone could help me with my brake problem. have noticed ever since i got my van ( about a year ago) theat the brakes were shocking. Put new discs, pads and calipers all round and no difference. They do work but you have to push very hard to get them to bite well.
Van is a 1999 1.9td

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Dan

·
Registered
472 Posts
Is the pedal nice and firm when u press it or spongy? When was the brake fluid last changed?
Is there movement in the pedal or is it pretty hard after the engine is started?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi Mate

You probably have a Vacuum Issue, normally due to split black braided hoses under the bonnet.

If you have not replaced any of them I would pop to your local motor factors and grab about
1meter that should be enough to do all of them including the injector run off pipes too.

But as previous post if you get a solid pedal all the time or a spongy then solid pedal it is
probably the vac pipes, cheapest thing to replace first.

Mike

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys will look into the hoses, and no i dont drive a newer car unfortunately. Im 19 and its my first car

·
Registered
280 Posts
Do you also drive a more modern vehicle , as well ??

Shouldnt make any difference, I drive a 2010 t5, a 2012 corsa and my 1997 t4 (which is also a 800 special 1.9td) and the brakes are bloody fantastic. You shouldnt have to push at all, I can rest my foot on the pedal to slow it in traffic, and to stop quick it would easily lock the wheels up.

Id say, either a stuck caliper (rear possbily) or vaccum problems. Id start the van, open the bonnet then switch it off, Listen for hissing around the servo.. the same method pinpointed a vac leak on my mk3 golf.

Could also be a dead vac pump, does your recirculation button work on the heater controls? Should make a thunk sorta sound when you press it as the flaps move. Its vaccum powered too.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have found a split in one of the larger vac pipes but fixed it so will be testing in the morning so fingers crossed. Will update.
Thanks for all the ideas
Dan

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have tested brakes after fixing the split. The brakes are biting a tad better but the pedal is now harder to push down. would that be related to the servo after having the pipe split for so long???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts