VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Due to get my first T4 at the end of the month and I'm already worrying! It's a 2002 1.9td with about 115,000 miles and some service history plus camping interior and pop-top. Looks in great condition. I've paid for HPi checks and everything looks good (apart from 2nd previous owner hadn't listed colour change on V5 from a respray - I've looked over the bodywork and all looks ok, just an admin thing I think).

There are 2 advisories on the MOT re Brake Hoses slight deterioration front nearside and offside and Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s). From what I can gather these aren't massively serious and shouldn't be too costly to get repaired?

This will be the most modern and first diesel vehicle I've ever owned. (Previously had a 1980s Skoda Estelle which I had my dad to help with, and a 1975 T2 bay (now gone, RIP) which I kind of managed basic stuff on by myself).

Now I'm soon to be the proud owner of a vehicle built after 1986 and I'm panicking! Modern cars are scary!

Is there a sticky somewhere with very basic tips for keeping your T4 running? I've been reading stories about cam-belts and water pumps and to be honest I am a bit nervous. The T4 had its last cambelt change in Jan 2019, not sure whether water pump was done. How do I tell if it needs doing?

Also, is there a basic guide for routine maintenance? i.e. topping up oil, engine water (? I've come from an aircooled bus), coolant (is this separate?) and general things I need to look out for?

I'm an enthusiastic learner - i just need to be pointed in the right direction as I'm scared of touching anything! I'm not well off by any means so If I bugger up the engine through poor maintenance or lack of understanding then it's game over.

I'm so excited about getting my T4 but I'm experiencing a few sleepless nights through worry...

Thanks for reading and I'll be grateful for any pointers/advice :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well,first of all ,just get yourself a Haynes manual for the diesel vans .That will tell you all the basic stuff and much else besides .The mileage is very low and these vans can be very long lived .They rarely can be worn out ,as long as oils etc are attended to .They can fail catastrophically ,through cam belt or associated part (eg water pump ,driven by cam belt ).They say the belts need changing at 80000 miles or five years and yours seems to have been done at about the right time .Hopefully ,a new VW pump and rollers etc were fitted at the same time ,probably were .But even the best parts do not completely remove the risk .But it is something you just have to accept with the territory .Parts which used to be very expensive are now average .I use common tyres used on the Transit ,so they are reasonable .Transporters are very comfortable for long distance use and this is their best point .I use Brickwerks or my local factor for parts ,and Online Automotive for exhausts.The engine undertray to my mind is just a nuisance and can conceal serious oil leaks from the gear box etc .I have got rid of mine ten years ago ,but some will say it is a bad idea .But if you keep it ,get to look behind fairly frequently .One very useful feature is the fact that the radiator can be lifted forward and outwards to the "service" position (see Haynes) ,and this gives good access to the front of the engine .The rear side is very cramped but you rarely will need access ,except for major stuff .If it has rear disc brakes ,they need twice yearly winding back and the sliders cleaning and greasing ,as they are prone to seizing .Also the brake compensator valve ,its springs ,levers etc(see Haynes ),needs regular spraying with WD40 to keep it free .These are a couple of points not mentioned in the manuals .You must use at least semi ,better fully synthetic oil because regular oil will not do for the turbo which can spin at 16000 revs .The power steering uses Central Hydrauilic fluid not Atf.The fuel filter is often overlooked and the water drain on the bottom of it needs to be opened to drain it of any water every few months .The fuel filter is not the easiest to change but is crucial to a diesel engine .Coolant is the red type Thats all the odd stuff I can think of .Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you @bournricha, that gives me a lot to be going on with. Haynes manual on order today too. Should have the van by the end of next week! 😎

1 - 3 of 3 Posts