VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mot failed, needing new brake hoses on the front. Got the garage to fit new hoses, but when I got the car home I realised that they hadn't blessed the breaks right, it was like I was pushing the brake pedal into a sponge! Anyway, next day I returned the vAn back to the garage and he sorted it out, only now it feels like the brakes don't release off the disc properly, to the point that I struggle to climb the slightest gradient! I cannot trust the idiot in the garage to sort it! Does anyone have any advice about what this issue could be or experienced this before?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
........... Does anyone have any advice about what this issue could be or experienced this before?
Did you mean advice about the man who cant sort your brakes or the binding that you think you've got I: sorry too tempting.

What Van have you got and is it discs all round?

Without jacking it up your not going to be able to tell which wheels are binding, could be mal-adjusted hand brake or disc pads sticking which could be due to them snagging in the caliper (recently found pads in my wifes car had been fitted the wrong way round, one way they just slipped into the caliper, reverse them and they became a tight (binding) fit). Could be drums not put back on properly. You'll need to investigate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

It's a 98 1.9td with discs all round. It doesn't seem to be related to hand brake but seems to occur after braking, sometimes this is sorted by giving the brake pedal a good ol' stamp! I don't need advice about the mechanic.. he's lost my trade, it's a shame as I used that place for nearly 10 years when his dad was the boss

·
Registered
135 Posts
Might not be this, but the 'floating pins' can be prone to corrosion and get seized up in the callipers. This can cause the pads to bind a little. Easy to sort, just take the callipers off and check the pins can move in and out freely. if not, clean off the corrosion and muck with wet&dry and re-lube. Be surprised if the mechanic didn't spot this though?

Good luck, hope you sort it. T:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I don't think it's the floating pins, when I changed the front discs last year they were jammed on so I seized them then! The problem seems to be with all 4 discs!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
.......... The problem seems to be with all 4 discs!
Is that with it jacked up that each brake/wheel is stiff/hard to turn?

Sort of sounds like the master cylinder is exerting pressure across the whole hydraulic system.

Some options might be :-
- Is the brake pedal returning fully once your foot comes off of it? Could be a broken spring on the pedal assembly keeping some pressure on the brake pads,
- might be the pedal box giving way.
- There should be some slight slack in the brake pedal action/mechanism when your foot is off it, so if you have a 'look see' the rod (with clevis attachment to brake pedal) between the master cylinder and pedal should not be pinched into position. Cannot see why this might have been maladjusted but...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem found! Like you say, could be problem with the master cylinder. We have actually found the fault with the brake servo releasing its pressure without pushing on the pedal, apparently can be caused from the brake bleeding g process, where the pedal has to moved right to the floor, this can apparently cause issues with the servo. We diagnosed this by pulling out the pressure fit pipe into the servo, this releases the brakes. Thanks for all you help. Antony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts