VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
Very new to this forum and have not even got a van yet! Intend to in the future and have spent a couple of hours gleaning useful info from this forum i.e. what type of van, colour, engine size, type of conversion etc, etc. Bit of a minefield but enjoying the journey so far.
Sooohhh, jumping in thinking of 2.5 T5, poss 174 PS have been a bit put of by varying road tax costs, m.p.g. possible expensive servicing costs for the 5 cyl chain driven motor. Is a good low mileage 1.9 an option? thinking of pulling power etc is the 84 PS / 102 PS satisfactory. In the end I suppose you pays your money and takes your chances. What is a good balance between cost for van - cost for conversion?
Many years ago coachbuilding was my trade (many years) would like to have a go myself, but do not have the space, small garage at bottom of very steep drive (do they fit in a normal sized garage?) Anyway enough for now. Look forward to replies, future correspondence.

Regards Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Welcome Chris,

You will buy a lot better van for your money if you go down the 1.9 route, better economy etc! They are a bit sluggish in standard form but with a remap these are perfectly adequate.
The 2.5's particularly the 174bhp models really do demand a premium
Anyway if I can help at all my numbers 07974522666
Regards
Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wondering what sort of price for the newer facelift T5 secondhand with common rail diesel motor say 1.9 low mileage? any idea

·
Registered
13 Posts
With good reason too - they have far more grunt than the 1.9, can also me re-mapped &, of course have 6 gears instead of 5.

They also drive very differently.
Hi we just put a deposit down on a t5 2.5 174 psl so do you think we made a good choice this is all so new to us!!!!! it drives lovely, its got 154000 on the clock though but i understand thats ok??? but it needs the inside panels replacing as scuffed. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Just wondering what sort of price for the newer facelift T5 secondhand with common rail diesel motor say 1.9 low mileage? any idea
The facelift also known as the 5.1 are a 2.0 not 1.9 they range a lot in price depending on spec, engine bhp and mileage!

Regards

Dan

·
Registered
989 Posts
La la la Lucy! yeah if and when I find her (don't hold out a lot of hope) will certainly loan her out. May even call the new van Lucy!
Fab, shall look forward to borrowing Lucy, my very own personal van shopper (well yours but borrowed!!!) :D

Yeah reckon the van should be called Lucy now, at least you'd have a story behind it :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts