VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Very poor fuel consumption - 1.9 (104) LWB

922 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Pothole 
#1 ·
Hi,

First post on the forum, so hope this in the right place!

I've read loads of threads on similar topics, but all are fairly old so starting a new one.

I have just brought a 2009 1.9 LWB, semi converted with insulation, leisure battery/split charge and full width rock and roll bed. It is also currently on all terrain tyres and I suspect raised suspension (although the chap I brought it off claimed that it was just on t32 springs).

I have come from a 1.9 tdi caddy (03 model) which used to comfortably achieve 40mpg (approx.) on my weekly commute. I did expect a reduction but about 28 litres of diesel on the first fuelling returned about 70 miles!

My weekly drive is around a 50 mile round trip on a-roads with very little traffic. It takes about 1hr 30mins in total and a good proportion of it is spent at around 50mph. The van is unladen, with the exception of the rock and roll bed of course.

Some other info to help: The van has been remapped and EGR deleted by previous owner. He told me that this was done by friend "who does this for a living". I had planned on getting it checked and redone by Pendle or someone similar.

The wheels are not balanced properly/the tracking needs doing as there is quite bad steering wheel shudder over 50mph. I am changing the wheels for standard steels, very soon probably this weekend, and will get them balanced and tracking done then, so should sort that problem.

My question is, should these factors affect the fuel consumption so much. I had (perhaps optimistically) hoped to get about 35mpg average. Currently I can see the fuel gauge moving down by 1/8th of a tank every 20 miles or so! Obviously I suspect some of the factors above are affecting economy but should it be so bad? I love the van, but I won't be able to keep it if this is normal!

Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks guys. The wheels/tyres and tracking etc will be sorted this weekend, so hopefully that will make a difference. If not then I guess I'll have to bring forward sorting out the remap that has been done previously.

One question - are you talking about LWB vans? Suspect it doesn't make too much difference - especially if it is a SWB loaded with conversion and other bits - but the LWB must be heavier than the SWB as there is more metal.

#10 ·
The lwb vans do not weigh all that much more than the swb. Of course it depends on which engine you have in your van, I think that you will find that vans weigh about 1800kg's give or take a bit . You could always look on t'internet on weight of vans with your spec.
Don't forget that a T28 or T30 whether lwb or swb, weigh the same when fully laden.

#11 ·
It starts fine both hot and cold. There is no black smoke that I have noticed (and I have been keeping an eye on it).
It pulls well enough although there is an increased steering wheel shudder under hard acceleration - I had put this down to the tracking / wheel balancing. No leaks.

Whereabouts is the diagnostic port on a 2009 T5? I think I still have the cable and the software on an old laptop from when I last had a vw.

Once the wheels are changed and balanced etc, if it is still bad (and I can't find the cable) I'll get it checked by my garage.

Thanks for all the replies though, I am at least reassured that this is not normal and so in theory can be fixed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.