VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some time ago i was approached by a forum member who asked me to apply some graphics to thier van. A couple of stripes were cut and applied over the whole vehicle, and some stripes down the sills. It transformed a white van into something a little different.

A month or so later i was asked by another forum member to add some graphics to their caravelle. Yeah sure i replied and asked if they had anything in mind?
As the designs came through i was shocked and wondered what i had let myself in for - this was far from a couple of stripes!
Having applied liveries to various expensive race cars for the past 3 years, i wasn't too concerned about covering most of the van... but these designs were something else!
So i was presented with the opportunity to make a huge graphic for a T4... how could i possibly say no?
I of course accepted the challenge at a very reduced rate!

I then spent several evenings vectorising the designs sent through to me, ready to be cut. Then imposing them over an image of the van and returning the image to the owner for confirmation.
The original colour specified was black, but after meeting the owner at a local regional meet up, i presented a sample of a metallic grey (anthracite) as an alternative suggestion against the silver of the van. The idea was sold, anthracite it was.
We set a date, and work began:

First the van was cleaned and polished:

Then the material was cut, weeded (waste removed) and prepped read for application:

The graphic was positioned:

And applied to each side.

The bonnet:

The boot:

The left side:

The right side:

More pictures of the application can be found here:
http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/andyroo_marshall/Silver Caravelle/?albumview=slideshow

It took a whole day to complete the application, but I'm so pleased with the results, as is the owner - or at least appeared to be.
I've really enjoyed this project, and would welcome similar future projects with open arms!

·
Registered
Vw t5.1 exec caravelle
365 Posts
Mate I Love the work....looks fantastic.

I had an idea of wrapping the entire van in a clear wrap or white then let someone who is good at graffiti go nuts....when selling it (god forbid) just pull it off....

Just wondered if its possible?I:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm not sure how the solvents in the paint would affect the wrap material? :*

Surely you'd just take a picture of some graffiti, and print it onto a wrap. (I can't print, only cut).

But i know the americans have been using 'site specific' graphics as a form of camoflage on military vehicles. i.e. taking a picture of the landscape, printing it onto a wrap, then wrapping the vehicle.

Also i think there was a student at the university of central lancashire who made a car effectively disappear using a wrap. (wrapped it to the same image as it's environment)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm not sure how the solvents in the paint would affect the wrap material? :*

Surely you'd just take a picture of some graffiti, and print it onto a wrap. (I can't print, only cut).

But i know the americans have been using 'site specific' graphics as a form of camoflage on military vehicles. i.e. taking a picture of the landscape, printing it onto a wrap, then wrapping the vehicle.

Also i think there was a student at the university of central lancashire who made a car effectively disappear using a wrap. (wrapped it to the same image as it's environment)
Here's the 'invisible car'. It's painted, not wrapped:

I'm not a fan of using a wrap as a fake paint job.
You only live once, get it masked and get it painted! T:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is that Sarah's van?

Looks great, can't wait to see it in the flesh. Talked to her about it when she was planning it and the finished article is brilliant.

Well done.

Cheers
Glad you like it Gaz T:T:T:

Thanks Andy for all your hard work, you've done a brillant job (great price T:T:) and I think it looks awsome too A:A:A:

I'm off to show it to the artist today, she's buzzin too :D:D:D

·
Registered
891 Posts
Andy did mine (the white van referred to in his first post) and his attention to detail is amazing. Great prices too guys! ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
STUNNING WORK!!!!!!!!

Right - I've been looking (and failing to find) someone to help with some graphics on my Scudo.

Can you PLEASE pm me if you'd be willing to do some work on mine? T:
Hi So-Kal

Andy did most brillant job with the decals T:T:T:

The artist who designed the graphics is happy for people to contact her if you want something orginal doing, check out her website:

www.rebornrebirth.com

or email her: [email protected]

Her and Andy made a brill team, thanks guys A:A:A:A:A:A:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
That looks absolutely fantastic ! Truly unique T:

This is a piece done by an artist local to us. BusterBen and vwt4sam had it painted for me as a 50th birthday present, I was thrilled to bits, have thought about having an image of it on the van ( picture still in bubblewrap in this photo)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.