VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have done a search and not found this one posted before....

First things first...My battery has been struggling recently and is being replaced!

Last night I tried to start the van and...... nothing. Completely flat. As I said, it's been struggling so I wasn't surprised and was prepared (for a change) I pulled out the lump leads and spare battery and...oh dear, as soon as I connect the jump leads the headlights come on.

"Right, you muppet, you left the lights on" I said to myself whilst walking round to turn the switch off....

It WAS off. bugger.

Maybe I left the it indicator on letting the sidelights drain the battery? Nope.

The only way I could turn the headlights off was to pull the fuses from the headlight upgrade kit.

I left the van charging for ten mins (I had a charger too!) started straight away.

Popped the fuses back in, drove home, all was well.

Parked the van, and noticed about half an hour later that the lights were on again.

Switch=off, indicators=off. My van is possessed.

I pop the bonnet, pull the fuses from the headlight "upgrade" kit and there was a definite spark from the fuses, despite everything being switched off.

I think I have found the cause of my struggling battery, but how/why is this happening?

All wiring done by previous owner.

HELP! I just don't get it! The relays appear to be taking a constant current and if the battery drops to a certain level the lights come on.

Thanks,

Kurt.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Which headlamp upgrade kit have you got? If you don't know, maybe pics T:

(once established which kit you have it might be worth contacting the trader/supplier for a wiring diagram to double check)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea which supplier it came from, all fitted by previous owner.

will try for pics, but not much to see, all black wires*, blue crimps** a fuse box, and 2 relays.

It's looks to be reasonably well put together though with decent conduit and heatshrinking.

*I know
** yes, I know!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was thinking at first, but I'm getting an odd chain of events.

----
ignition & lights off. no fuse. = lights off (obviously)
---

ignition & lights off. insert fuse = small spark from fuse block as connection is made & lights come on (odd),

turn the key, lights stay on.

Turn lights on and as expected lights stay on, turn the lights off again and they go out.
---

If it was a sticky relay, turning the light switch on and off again wouldn't make any difference, and as I saw last night the battery drops to a certain level and then the lights come back on again by themselves.

It's as if the relays are needing power to stay switched off but then when the power drops they switch on.

I have seen relays that are meant to do this but these aren't them!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.