VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
My van passed its MOT last week but the power of the rear breaks was seriously low and it barely passed... I've had a few really scary moments recently with the van (since going from my wider 18" tyres down to my winter 15"s) when I have been breaking the front of the van has been locking up quite easily. I thought this could be an issue with my break bias adjustment ( As my van is lowered 80 oddmm) but from what I have read this would strengthen the rear breaks ??
Could anyone please shed some light on this please or point me in any direction ??

Thanks in advance

Luke

·
Registered
759 Posts
Did you adjust the brake bias comp after lowering?
Have you checked the callipers for functionality (pressure at the brake unit and also self adjustment of pad/braking surface gap)?
What is the condition of your pads and discs (or pads and drums).

I would put forward a guess that the bias compensator has seized up. There are plenty of threads on here about how to set it up after lowering. Get under the van and add some load (friends come in handy here) whilst watching the compensator and see how much it moves, if at all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all
Thanks for the replies....

The brake pads, calipers etc are just fine. Followed your advice and checked the bias compensator out and it appears to be seized I've give it a douse in wd40 and booked it into a garage ( don't have the confidence to start stripping bits out yet )
Thanks for the help I will reply when I get an answer from the garage

Luke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts