VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
My 2005 T5 1.9 diesel (axc) has just been in for a new clutch due to a slight vibration at tickover from the dmf. Now the vans back there is a harsh vibration that can be felt through the driver seat when changing up the gears around 14-1800 rpm in 4th and 5th. The van feels smooth through the gears in 1st and 2nd with a slight hint in 3rd but you can feel your back tingle in 4th. Can’t feel anything anything in neutral. The garage say they have checked the drive shafts, engine mounts and everything’s torqued up. I went for a single mass flywheel could it be this as it’s only under load ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't think it'll be the single mass. The only vibration on that is usually whilst using clutch slip whilst setting off on a hill. It's not actually the flywheel but the engine vibration you feel through your foot, steering wheel etc. This usually goes once the clutch is bedded in.
Maybe your faulty dual mass was hiding another problem? What are your tyres like?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi the tyres are ok, the van didn’t have the vibration until the clutch was changed yesterday so I’m suspecting the garage has disturbed something or it’s a driveshaft, engine mount etc (but the garage says they checked everything).
Would a drive shaft cause vibration under load and how do I check them ?
Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve had the van on ramps today and checked all the bolts associated with changing the clutch and can’t find anything loose. The front engine mount rubber was soft so I’ve replaced that with new, the exhaust doesn’t seem to catch so I’m struggling now. The vibration is less harsh now, it seems almost to be like a sucking noise (or a tinny heat shield vibrating noise) from the engine bay/bulk head area when driving between 1600-2000rpm in 3rd -5th that stops when you lift off? After 2000rpm it’s gone any ideas please ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
Is that the heat shield under the floor pan, if so that seems to be away from the exhaust etc. Is there a particular area that I should be looking in ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts