VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me why when I am parked with the engine running I turn my steering wheel to leave the curb and i get vibrations coming throught the wheel, this only happens when I turn at tick over. If I rev the engine a little and turn the steering wheel ......no vibration!! Also is there any greasing points on the steering column as it squeeks on every rotation of the wheel and it is driving me bonkers:bhd

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's probably the power steering pump under load, mine does it also since my anti roll bar was replaced. If you think of the motor like an engine and it's almost stalling at low revs like the engine does. I'm not certain but it could possibly be the powersteering belt slipping at low revs when it's under load but i've not had time to look into this recently so not an expert on this statement.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can anybody tell me why when I am parked with the engine running I turn my steering wheel to leave the curb and i get vibrations coming throught the wheel, this only happens when I turn at tick over. If I rev the engine a little and turn the steering wheel ......no vibration!! Also is there any greasing points on the steering column as it squeeks on every rotation of the wheel and it is driving me bonkers:bhd
Have you checked the colour of your power steering fluid. I've had this issue since last winter, not a problem with normal driving, but certainly judder through the steering wheel is noticeable, especially when cold/first started for the day. Noticeably worse during winter. I think I may have some contamination in my power steering fluid (common problem with oil and seals?), but am hoping to avoid replacing the pump. Basically I think the VW power steering fluid should be green and not a mirky brown like mine/yours?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked the fluid and it is lovely and green as it should be however I have had a look at the belt when someone is turning the wheel and the tensioner is moving about a fair bit. The tensioner is new so I think I might try a slightly shorter belt say 5mm....to cure the bouncing tensioner which causes the vibration?:*

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey, I have the same problem, I only really notice it when I am trying to parrallel park etc! Changed the tensioner and belt but not really much change!
Steering hydraulic fluid seems very green so no contamination!

Any other ideas!?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have done the following
New dmf and clutch new top strut bearings new drop links new alternate freewheel new belt new tensioner all this and i still have what you are all talking about only to less a degree the biggest difference being the dmf .oh nearly forgot New anti roll bar rubbers .BUt I do have a slight leak of fluid from the cooler or pipework this is my next move :*

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the same problem aswell.
I notice it most when I get in the van for the first time each day.
Quite a lot of vibration through the steering wheel when locking it one way or the other, and also when parking up slowly.

It really annoys me!

Would love someone to input their cure!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I have the same problem aswell.
I notice it most when I get in the van for the first time each day.
Quite a lot of vibration through the steering wheel when locking it one way or the other, and also when parking up slowly.

It really annoys me!

Would love someone to input their cure!
Could be something as simple as low power steering fluid or air in the system.

·
Registered
27 Posts

This is just happened to me my problem was a knackered alternator clutch pulley seems fairly common and a good place to start as they are around £40

Take the belt of the pulley stop it turning with a screwdriver in the fan then turn it by hand it should only turn one way or it may be seized completely like mine

·
Registered
359 Posts
Mine is still doing this ........was looking at the engine mounts the other day wondering whether or not it could be them possibly the rear one .Just out of interest if you put your foot on the foot brake and then turn the steering wheel:* my vibration goes you can only do when AT rest but anybody else find this ?????

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same issue and seems to be all of a sudden. Initially after purchasing my van I couldn’t believe how smooth the drive was and handling. I had my intercooler changed and I’ve only noticed it since that. I thought it may be the size of the current wheels but don’t think it is. Power steering liquid seems to have enough in there just hopeing it isn’t an expensive fix where do I start?

cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts