VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

As the title suggests, I am keen to add some solar panels to my 2009 T5. I have already got in place the Victron Cyrix VSR via a fuse box and linked to a small switch panel which I currently use for lights, charging small devices and a portable coolbox when the engine is on. I plan to add more appliances in the future and would like to make use of a couple of solar panels.

I remember reading a post a while ago about there being complications using solar panels with the Cyrix VSR. Does anyone know if this is the case or am I good to start looking for some?

Thanks

·
Special Rapporteur
9,770 Posts
I'm not aware of any issues. We have a Cyrix VSR and it works as intended, allowing the solar panels to charge both the leisure and vehicle batteries at the same time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks - FWIW, I found the email from where I bought my setup from a year ago.

They said:

Thanks for getting in touch, We would not recommend using a Victron Cyrix with solar panels. This is because when the panel is seeing sunlight it will produce a charging current that will activate the relay (as it senses voltage in both directions). When this happens it joins your starter battery and leisure batteries together.

This can sadly result in your starter motor drawing power through the relay from the leisure batteries when you start the vehicle which can cause damage. If you did wish to add solar we would also encourage you to install a DC-DC unit that will only allow current to flow from the starter to the leisure battery ensuring the issue never arises.

I'm in two minds about this now...

·
Registered
447 Posts
That's the same for any VSR surely? My solar charges both leisure and vehicle batteries when the sun shines. I'd expect as soon as you turn the key the vehicle battery voltage will drop below the VSR threshold and the VSR will open anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts