VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Searched many threads and tried to find an answer to this, but to no avail.

Attached it a video link to a short clip that 'shows' my problem.

When cold, there is a loud rattle/knock from the drivers side of the engine bay. The noise seems to disappear once the engine is up to temperature. Just had the belts / tensioners / pump done.

It's a 2.5tdi 88bhp.

I press hard down on the pedal during this clip, but the noise remains (but it may deaden a little?) so not sure if it's the vacuum pump.

If anyone has had the same noise, would be interested to hear your tales of triumphant diagnosis! T: or tales of woe...:(

Cheers,

Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywCteYIlaeI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I had a watch/listen of the clip. It was a little difficult to hear but the sound I heard was more of a rumbling sound than a rattle. This would suggest to me that isn't the vacuum pump. When i had vac pump probs, the rattle was terrifyingly loud when looking into the engine bay and sounded like terminal tappet noise until you pumped the brakes several times and then held the pedal down. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a watch/listen of the clip. It was a little difficult to hear but the sound I heard was more of a rumbling sound than a rattle. This would suggest to me that isn't the vacuum pump. When i had vac pump probs, the rattle was terrifyingly loud when looking into the engine bay and sounded like terminal tappet noise until you pumped the brakes several times and then held the pedal down. Hope this helps!
Cheers, man - had pretty much ruled out the vacuum pump seeing as the noise didn't go completely when I pressed the pedal, but wasn't sure. Just hope it's not the start of something terminal!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My guess would be the vibration damping pulley.
The inner and outer sections become separated as the rubber splits and degrades over time.
I would advise taking it off and checking it ASAP as it will almost certainly take out your cam belt if it lets go.
To remove, un do the 4 allen bolts and the giant bolt in the drivers side end of the cam shaft. It wont affect timing, but do be careful because after you remove all of these bolts, the cam belt sprocket is only held on by friction/belt tention on its mating flange.
There is a thread somewhere on here showing photos of a bad one that somebody removed.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
To me it sounds like something to do with th engine moving. And induction/exhaust knocking against body.

Rather hard to tell without any change in engine rev and also no seeing the engine movement.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I can't hear it very well. A common problem is the bottom anti vibration pulley. The rubber starts to come away from the steel innard.

Go underneath by this pulley and listen carefully. The pulley is about $100 (sorry USA keybaord on windows) and should be done a.s.a.p if it is the cause of the noise.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Forgot to add that it's only on tick-over. As soon as you accelerate, it goes.

Could this still be the vibration dampener?

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Something is really wrong here fuel gauge is right up . This can not be right no one can afford that much juice .... Not in rip off Britain

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Yes, the speed does two things, engine noise drowns out the noise and i think it also has something to do with in motion alignment at speed (maybe talking brown stuff there though). Definitely more noticable on tick over.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the speed does two things, engine noise drowns out the noise and i think it also has something to do with in motion alignment at speed (maybe talking brown stuff there though). Definitely more noticable on tick over.
Right, will try and get this checked soon as. Supposed to be doing 2 150 mile round trips on Monday / Tuesday, but don't feel so confident now! :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something is really wrong here fuel gauge is right up . This can not be right no one can afford that much juice .... Not in rip off Britain
Must be a faulty gauge. The temp stays at 0 degrees, so would make sense for the fuel to stay at 100 percent...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Deffo bottom pulley, can you see it vibrating/moving left to right?

They are £130 new
No, haven't had anything apart yet. Was convinced it was the vacuum pump after reading so many breads about it, so have only just found out about the bottom pulley.

Could have got it done with the cambelt last week and saved some money!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When did the noise start?
Since I've had it, so don't know how long it was doing it beforehand, if at all.

First thought it was a pump-timing issue, and the belts were due to be done so took it in last week, hoping it would fix the noise at the same time. But, obviously, didn't.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts