1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's no going back now because I've already bought the donor car:

All I need now is:
1) some way of getting the golf here (not tax or MOT),
2) somewhere to park it off road whilst I sort out somewhere to do the conversion,
3) somewhere to do the conversion, and
4) magically grow the skills to do it all......

no problems then.....I:

watch this space! T:

Jimmyjames, stick me on the list!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers JJ!

There will be a short delay as the seller is off on his hols tomorrow, but that suits me fine as I still need to find somewhere to put it I:

Got a mate who has a unit with a bunch of his chums so going to try to beg/borrow/steal a spot in a corner there, but can't get hold of him at the moment cos he's on his hols too!

gives me time to do a bit of planning and sorting out the various bits that I'll need to source.

anybody know if any old 2.5 TDI pedal will do the job?

Chers
Pete

·
Somebody stop me!
11,947 Posts
You need the earlier 2.5tdi throttle pedal and the bracket which the potentiometer bolts to. IMHO this is the simplest part of the conversion and it so satisfying getting rid of the cold start and throttle cables T:T:T:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've come up against the first hurdle on this project, they guy who was going to rent me some space in his workshop is currently (on for the foreseeable future) short of space :(.

I also need to collect the car from the Guy I'm buying it from and therefore have no off road space to park it.

I think I may have to ask my boss very nicely if I can park it in the corner of the office car park as a short term measure - how successful that will be is unsure as he's already given me a dressing down this week for less than exemplary time keeping....

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CAr collected and towed through Oxford by the 800 spesh and stored at a secret location in rural Buckinghamshire:

also made enquiries at a tyre place in the town where I work who have just moved premises, I asked if they would be interested in renting their old unit to me (as they still own it) for a month, waiting for a response tomorrow....

It would be ideal as I could head into work early and do a bit in the morning, a bit more at lunchtime and there some more after work! T:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got a big stack of new parts to go on the engine before it goes in the T4, including, cambelt kit, water pump, oil pump, new oil and filter, fuel filter, LuK Golf TDi clutch kit, new flywheel bolts and a slack hand full of gaskets and seals.

The golf is going to be stripped of it's engine, gearbox and wiring loom on Saturday........T:

I've already removed the golf dash board, so all the elastic-trickery is exposed and ready to be removed:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
do you need to remove the servo from the golf to get the loom out? It loot very tight! Would it be best to pull the loom into the engine bay or into the cab?

Cheers
Pete
Yes remove servo (three/four 13mm nuts in the drivers footwell), pull the harness through from the engine side of the firewall be careful to pass the connector through the opening one at a time.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts