VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy just had a stupid quote for a vinyl wrap on my roof and mirror backs .. over 500quid , so stuff that , where can I buy vinyl wrap from ? I am wanting Porsche riviera blue

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I used to have a wrapping company.. Best place to get it is William Smiths.. There the main distributor for vinyl in this country.. U will need 1080 series made by 3M.. Best stuff available and easy to work with..
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
The issue I've always found with wrapping anything, is lifting. Do you have to heat seal that stuff?
With 3M 1080 it has microscopic air channels to get all air out.. After ur happy with ur results always go over it with a heat gun.. This will seal it and stop lifting

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just my two pence but I wouldn’t advise wrapping the roof yourself. It’s a difficult job that requires a high level of skill and experience.

I understand why you might think the quote is stupidly expensive, but the majority of the cost is in the labour time.

Some roofs are cost effective to wrap, but I’m afraid the T5 is not. The multiple channels require a scrutinous cleaning method, and then post heating to over 100 degrees along every channel too. Not to mention the actual laying time, which also requires a specific method of bridging the channels (if you don’t want it to lift).

3M’s 1080 Series was designed for cars, not commercial vehicles (which generally have more recesses), so they released the 1380 Series to allow colour changing of deep and u-shaped channels (it’s more conformable and only requires post hearing to 80 degrees, but has a different installation method again).

Smiths are trade only, 3M understandably don’t want amateurs ‘having a go’ at laying films they’ve heavily invested in, just for them to fail, and then their product is blamed due to incorrect installation.

Paint may be the more cost effective option, but it’s permanent and I’m sure you’ll find a range of different quality and different price points.

All the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts