VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello People,
I鈥檓 new here so be gentle 馃槈
Ive just brought a Syncro and to my ignorance and dismay my mechanic checked it over and delivered 5he bad news that I have a cracked housing.
Apparently this is a 拢2.5k part from Europe not taking into consideration taxes and brexit.
Has anyone got one for sale over here? Are they repairable??
Any advise for a Nubie would be greatly appreciated.
Dean

Registered
This Facebook page mentions a place that manufacturers them.
I couldn't see a price on the pages link though.
Might be worth a try.

Premium Member
This is what happens when they are left too long without being serviced. You should be able to find a second hand one on german ebay or the facebook groups. I've got a spare now I'm getting refurbished. I might send it to Kern:

Viscowerkstatt Kern

Not cheap but they've been doing all the proper research so you'll know you'll get a good one cheaper that your initial quote.

Matt

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mind you ViscoKern is not shipping to the UK at the moment because of brexit!
Hi Matt,
yes I saw this! I鈥檝e put feelers out to a couple of UK companies to see if they can locate any.
My understanding is they have to be the correct one for your gearbox as well!
I also believe they cannot be repaired/welded? I know it鈥檚 difficult to weld cast iron but not impossible but no one seems to have mentioned that they鈥檝e done this or tried.
Is it also true that for now I could remove the prop and just use FWD till I find a replacement.
The fact that Kern doesn鈥檛 ship to the UK anymore isn鈥檛 insurmountable as I have friends with a holiday home in France that they visit by car a couple of times a year. And they are due a visit soon.
Dean

Premium Member
Handy friends to have!

The VC is common on the T4 so it shouldn't matter what gearbox you have. There are different differentials further back if that's what you've been told. The VC just fits on the end of the prop and onto the diff at the back. There's a couple that looks a little different. The later ones seemed to have a more pronounced lip (you can see the difference on the Kern page). See what bit is craked and try and keep what's good. The lids and plates come in handy for others (if it's the case that burst).

You'll be fine for now running without it. What engine is yours?

You can see here which bit is which if that helps

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Handy friends to have!

The VC is common on the T4 so it shouldn't matter what gearbox you have. There are different differentials further back if that's what you've been told. The VC just fits on the end of the prop and onto the diff at the back. There's a couple that looks a little different. The later ones seemed to have a more pronounced lip (you can see the difference on the Kern page). See what bit is craked and try and keep what's good. The lids and plates come in handy for others (if it's the case that burst).
Handy friends to have!

Ive not got it off yet, fingers crossed it鈥檚 just damage to the cast lid. But, still got to find one!
Thanks for the imput Matt

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive not got it off yet, fingers crossed it鈥檚 just damage to the cast lid. But, still got to find one!
Thanks for the imput Matt
Handy friends to have!

You'll be fine for now running without it. What engine is yours?

You can see here which bit is which if that helps

Only just seen this photo 馃槉 Thanks,oh and it鈥檚 a 2.4 TDI

Premium Member
Its either a 2.4 non turbo, 2.5 TDI or a converted 2.4 with turbo added (like mine). You can find the engine code. Yours might be ACV if its TDI. Mines AAB (the slow one). It makes no difference really though. The TDI has got a different gearbox (Iveco derived) and the driveshafts at the rear are different too. VW just made them obsolete too!

Get some photos up too. Always love to see other syncros :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its either a 2.4 non turbo, 2.5 TDI or a converted 2.4 with turbo added (like mine). You can find the engine code. Yours might be ACV if its TDI. Mines AAB (the slow one). It makes no difference really though. The TDI has got a different gearbox (Iveco derived) and the driveshafts at the rear are different too. VW just made them obsolete too!

Get some photos up too. Always love to see other syncros :)
Hello Matt,
I鈥檒l get some on soon!
It is a glorified work van though. But at least these expensive bits can be put through the business.
As long as the VC units are all the same I should be able to sort it out eventually.
I鈥檝e just seen two on German eBay.
Only got to translate the page to see if they鈥檒l ship to Blighty.
Fingers crossed.
Thanks again for your input Matt

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Matt,funnily enough I鈥檝e been in touch with Andreas and Tanja and have ordered one and it鈥檚 on its way!!馃榿 I was going to update here but you鈥檝e beaten me to it!
They seem like good people,very knowledgeable, very helpful.
I鈥檒l keep you posted on progress 馃憤

Premium Member
Hello Matt,funnily enough I鈥檝e been in touch with Andreas and Tanja and have ordered one and it鈥檚 on its way!!馃榿 I was going to update here but you鈥檝e beaten me to it!
They seem like good people,very knowledgeable, very helpful.
I鈥檒l keep you posted on progress 馃憤
Aye please do. I need to get my spare one sent to them. I've got another van in Norway that needs doing too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts