VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, totally newbie here converting my first van into a camper for summer. Was getting the once over at a friend garage who gave it the all clear apart from shocks. Needed all round.

The previous owner has fitted fairly cheap Direnza 50mm (Doesn’t look like 50mm lower) lowering springs but they are new (couple of hundred miles). Should I go for full replacement with Vogtland 40mm drop springs and gas shocks. Or would I be better leaving the cheaper springs in place and getting the Sachs HD Super touring?

Looking for it to look good but still be practical camper.

thanks for any advice

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Been on Sachs for over 20 years (the after market super touring are the same as the OE VW sports suspension option). With regard to springs always use quality items.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think it would be worth changing out the springs then? I’m not sure I could afford Sachs HD and good springs in same sitting. Might need to be full Vogtland kit.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,530 Posts
You have to consider how long they will last.
As scruffybugger said....he's been on the Sachs for 20 years.....and I may be wrong, but don't remember him ever posting that he's changed them!

BTW...good to see you're still alive and kicking Charlie Boy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that’s the case do you think I would be better going for the sachs HD just now and then maybe in couple months upgrading the springs?

this is my first van, I’ve put a fair bit of work into the conversion but it’s still in the back of my mind that if I can convince my wife of the joys of having a comfortable camper we might get something a bit newer reasonably soon. T5 or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts