VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volkswagen confims Microbus plans

Confirmed plans as of Monday 22nd November 2010

VW Design chief Klaus Bischoff confirms German maker is working on plans to build new version of classic Camper

Klaus Bischoff said:
"I would not be doing my job at Volkswagen properly if I was not thinking of bringing back the Camper"

This sketch, produced earlier this year hints at new, simpler looking version of 2001 Microbus concept. According to latest reports, car's functionality is still being debated.

Bischoff also revealed that plans to launch the Microbus concept, revealed at the 2001 Detroit Motor Show, were called off on cost - rather than a lack of public demand.

Bischoff said:
"At the feasibility stage, it was decided not to do the project on cost."
Plans are now back on the drawing board, but key questions remain to be answered before a concept is shown publicly.

"The key question is 'what sort of car should we build?' It could be a traditional MPV, with a conventional interior, or we could be much bolder, designing a more flexible, versatile machine - perhaps one that is closer in spirit to the original model. It is not yet decided."

"However, this is very much a European project, and we are working with our design teams in California and across the rest of the world to help us build a car with global influences."

Details on the car's engineering remain scarce, but news that the model is still at an early stage means that it's unlikley any concept will be shown before 2012.

The VW microbus is legend in the world of motoring. It was used back in the 1960s and 70s as a people carrier and became an icon during the hippie revolution. While it might not gain that status in its new form, there is no doubt that it will retain some of those old characteristics.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Kinda looks like how the Japanese or Koreans would do a bus....

I dont know....someting not quite right.

im pretty sure it'll be a "marmite" car like the new beetle or Mini- some love it others think the original was unsurpassable and should've been left alone.

Whats next- a 2015 Splitty??

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Sadly, I think those that would want it most would never be able to afford it and it would become a trendy 'toy' for those with the sort of disposeable income that I for one can only dream about. :(

(I think they touted about £30k when the original one was doing the rumour rounds - and that was 10 years ago, so guessing a disposeable £40k is the sort of 'market' they'd be aiming at - ie not me!):eek:

Epic fail IMHO - not the idea, as I think it's great, but let's be honest, how many are they going to shift at the price they're going to sell them at?:*

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Sadly, I think those that would want it most would never be able to afford it and it would become a trendy 'toy' for those with the sort of disposeable income that I for one can only dream about. :(

(I think they touted about £30k when the original one was doing the rumour rounds - and that was 10 years ago, so guessing a disposeable £40k is the sort of 'market' they'd be aiming at - ie not me!):eek:

Epic fail IMHO - not the idea, as I think it's great, but let's be honest, how many are they going to shift at the price they're going to sell them at?:*
I think they'd sell enough to make it worth their while Keith, assuming that the "New Beetle", and the "New Mini" make a profit :*

Roll on the "jelly mould " Sharan, would be my bet :*
I think you've hit the nail on the head there Dave T:

Cynical marketing ploy or not, if it looked like that, I'd have one :D

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
VW haters? I've probably owned more VWs than most folk on here - both old and new, so that's a bit of a plonker statement.

I LOVE the idea of the new microbus (as I've already pointed out) - in fact, when it came out first time around, I was working at Bentley and looking forward to getting one on the lease scheme there.

But I saw the estimated guide price of them too, and that's when I knew I'd never actually 'own' one.

I'm sure they WILL sell, and will probably sell in enough numbers to turn a profit, but it'll be a different market that buys them.

If you take this forum as a benchmark, I'd assume the majority will 'like' these new things - but I'd also assume that only a tiny minority on here will be able to afford to buy one - that's where the 'fail' comes from.

If you outprice your 'enthusiast' audience, then I fail to see the point.

It's like the Mexican/Brazilian T2s ..... HOW MUCH???????

:eek::eek:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
VW haters? I've probably owned more VWs than most folk on here - both old and new, so that's a bit of a plonker statement.

I LOVE the idea of the new microbus (as I've already pointed out) - in fact, when it came out first time around, I was working at Bentley and looking forward to getting one on the lease scheme there.

But I saw the estimated guide price of them too, and that's when I knew I'd never actually 'own' one.

I'm sure they WILL sell, and will probably sell in enough numbers to turn a profit, but it'll be a different market that buys them.

If you take this forum as a benchmark, I'd assume the majority will 'like' these new things - but I'd also assume that only a tiny minority on here will be able to afford to buy one - that's where the 'fail' comes from.

If you outprice your 'enthusiast' audience, then I fail to see the point.

:eek::eek:
I truly believe that this is the big thing on VW's part these days. It's not about the enthiusiast buying vehicles from new, although there will always be a few with cash to burn, but, rather more that the vw fans will buy them as used and keep them going long after their intended service life. Like it or not their products have only become iconic and given them a sense of longevity because of the "scene".
Mr. Upper Echelon comes along and either privately or on his company car budget, buys one quite easily, his boss, family and neighbours thinks he's something which never breaks down, looks " cool and warranted the price tag because of it and hey presto another success for VW, which if done right will perpetuate for another 20 years via the vw diehards.

EDIT; For what it's worth , the more I look at it the less I like it. It would be entirely possible to have one I guess as I do still have a car for work, but these days I run something ( 1.9 Golf est) which doesn't kill me tax -wise. As far as the new- look resurrected old models go , I quiet like the Beetle and the Fiat 500, but not the Mini. Just waiting for the Anglia now I:

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is nothing sinister about the prices of desirable objects with limited availability increasing in value.

As for a sharan bodykit, auto-mobile platforms are so universal now that there really isn't a successful production car made which isn't based on a platform. So the B-VX62 is a worthy platform , tried & tested T:

Check out all the vehicles currently on the A5 (PQ35) platform

• Audi A3 Mk2
  • Volkswagen Touran
  • Volkswagen Caddy
  • SEAT Altea
  • Volkswagen Golf Mk5 / GTI / R32 / Rabbit Mk5
  • Škoda Octavia Mk2
  • Volkswagen Golf Plus
  • SEAT Toledo Mk3
  • Volkswagen Jetta Mk5
  • SEAT León Mk2
  • Audi TT Mk2
  • Volkswagen Eos
  • Volkswagen Tiguan
  • Volkswagen Scirocco
  • Volkswagen Golf Mk6
  • Škoda Yeti

·
Registered
6 Posts
We heard a whisper over the summer that a new production Type 2 variant was on its way and we're delighted that plans were announced at the LA Motor Show!! Can't wait to get some on the CamperVantastic hire fleet! For the meantime we'll have to make do with the VW California however given recent prices rises I think this new version would be closer to £50k - £60k mark!

http://www.campervantastic.com

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
There is nothing sinister about the prices of desirable objects with limited availability increasing in value.

As for a sharan bodykit, auto-mobile platforms are so universal now that there really isn't a successful production car made which isn't based on a platform. So the B-VX62 is a worthy platform , tried & tested T:

[/LIST]
Not knocking it Jim ! Drive a mkv golf meself T: Just not sure if It would have the mass ( i.e non commercial vehicle) selling capacity of the t5 or something of it's size, for Joe Public to want to drive daily. I know we all drive t4 t5, but then we are "special" I:

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
You know what; I am not sure I like it now, when I first saw it (the concept) ages ago I thought 'wow want one'! That is the BEST idea, bar none ever T:

But now, all I can see is a T5.1 which has been twatted in the face with large hammer LOL: LOL:

Probably will grow me though, was not mad keen on the new Scirocco until I saw one in the flesh.

I will NEVER start liking those horrible Brazilian T2's though they are not a dub, end of. :D:D

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
if it comes out like any of those promo pics i'd love one for karen, but so dont need all that space anymore now the ladz have grown up, quite fancy one of those Peugeot R2Z thingies though,

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Does all this mean a new transporter/caravelle chassis to be taken from the new`microbus'?
Or is it slightly smaller than a transporter?
Or maybe it is something entirely different.
If so, what does this mean for the california?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
if it comes out like any of those promo pics i'd love one for karen, but so dont need all that space anymore now the ladz have grown up, quite fancy one of those Peugeot R2Z thingies though,
Hate to tell you this, but my three sons all moved out. I now have four grandchildren, two dogs plus my own, plus the pushchairs, bottles, car seats, carry seats and what-not to contend with.:(

More stuff than you can shake a stick at.:*

Believe me, I NEED A T5, just to get through the day !!!!!H:

C U on the moon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts