VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings t4 folks... :mw:mw

first post on here.... it looks a great forum.

just got a t4 panel van, its registered as a caravelle, dont know why because it not!

been looking at back seating/sleeping arrangements taking into consideration i am a drummer and when doing festis with the family, i want to have suitable space behind the seats for drum kit, aswell as having a boot space instead of having gear rattling about infront of the children when were in the move..... basicaly this has lead me to the volkswares seats.

would need to have 2 x 3 point inertia seat belts and stems fitted to the chassis and frame. am i right in thinking this would be fully safe?

http://http://www.volkswares.co.uk/t4/t4-rock-and-roll-bed/

read on a thread on here somewhere, someone was thinking you have to build a box to simulate where the rear engine might be for these bed design. spoke to the company today, and the whole thing is self supporting. the design looks like the old water cooled rear engine bed shape. its designed specifacly to create the boot space that im after.

if someone with any knowledge and experience of these beds could help me out, much appreciated.

thanks

gav

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry can't help you out, but a rock and roll bed for a rock and roller eh? :ILU:

I play the drums myself but don't think I'll ever get to play a festival. :(

What's your band like, any links?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I had one of these in my last van. Not sure how you will fit seatbelts, as frame is nowhere near strong enough to mount them from. Check out my 2nd build thread in my signature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had one of these in my last van. Not sure how you will fit seatbelts, as frame is nowhere near strong enough to mount them from. Check out my 2nd build thread in my signature.
hi gaz....wow! that is a beautiful conversion!!

regarding the seat belts, was planning on getting 3 point belts fitted to the frame and chassis... i know a guy who fits them, he did a course on re inforcing and fitting belts to vehicles, so im hoping that is a valid way forward.

how is the bed design itself though, does it work nice, how does it compare with the likes of just kampers one? it is more expensive than some others.

alot of praise on here for the cannons forge r&r, only thimg with that one is the design doesnt leave the space at the back i need.

thanks

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I bought the one from Volkspares as they were able to supply the rear section (that is usually the engine on an aircooled van) and it was fixed to the van permanantly. From memory the JustKampers one lift up to give more access under the rear section, so it is probably not as stable. Due to the additional height of these beds there is a lot more storage underneath, than a conventional R&R bed. However, they are a bit more noisy if there is nobody sat on the seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks gaz, yeah, it seems now with the volks wares bed that the back does lift up if needed too. so maybe they advanced it since your fit? is it the wire mesh that rattles about?
....also... last question!! - when the bed is down, is it solid at the ends, to sit on? i know they dont have legs right at the ends, but cantilever system.

http://www.volkswares.co.uk/upholstery-3/pic-2/ - picture with the back up

http://www.volkswares.co.uk/upholstery-3/img_1283-copy-1/ - picture with it down

also i just found this article on the forum, which at first got me down, cos i thought what we have is a basic panel van:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34376

but just had a look at the chassis no....and its got the prefix vw2!! which means it was born for seat belts! good news!! LOL:

so can rest easy with the idea of fitting belts to it.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Yeah, looks like they have done a bit of a redesign on rear section. Yeah, bed supported all 17 stone of me, no problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got a volkswares bed 2 years ago,like gaz said it is higher than most beds but this gives you more room to pack things in underneath which is a good thing. Have no noise problems with it but wish the back rest part was more upright like some other beds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, we have the volkswares R&R bed fitted in ours in march and we are well pleased with it. T: the staff at volkswares were great and very helpful with our choice of upholstery, the back section lifts up and locks in position to give full boot space and is very sturdy with weight on it. there is enough space underneath for our sleeping bags/duvet and pillows etc if you box it in like we have. no squeaks or rattles and a doddle to drop down to the bed position. hope this info helps:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice one everyone! i really appreiate that feeback. i think the volswares is defo the one for us,,,, and like you say burty, the staff up there are really helpful too....... yeah looking forward now too getting this on the go.

will post some pictures when its done.

thanks alot!:cool:

1,094 Posts

This unit is designed to replace the rear frame on the bed, it has storage cupboards on the side and bottom of the unit with a pull out drawer that houses a smev sink,2 burner hob combination unit or if required storage only.All units have push button catches and soft close doors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes ECI this does seem the good thing with these design beds, lots of options for behind it.

thanks curb!! i love the reggae, the band been playing for about 14 years now, been hitting the world with the sounds lately, with some 12" vynil releases. its good fun..... so yeah... looking forward to having the famliy with me more when we play the festis.

keep an ear out for us.... should try and get in on some vw meets now i got the wagon. :ILU:

1,094 Posts
Just fitted one today with our rear unit with built in smev sink ,fits perfectly with enough room behind driver and passenger seat for two pods ,one for cool box and the other is a storage cupboard with a pullout table, the pods can also be stored in driveaway awning when required as regards to the rear unit we are doing a bit of discount for all forum members as we were going to do camper jam,due to current work load we are having to work 7 days:(:(:( but roll on bus festT:T:i have had a conversation with volkswares this week ,they are interested in the rear camper unit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts