VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what reading I should get at my starter motor? van will not start, wont turn at all, get lights on dash get glow plug lights and audible click through 109 and the glowplugs themselves but nothing else, battery is fully charged, originally happened after a very laboured start during cold spell (poor timing on fuel pump i think but thats another story) and then everything just clicked off and i assumed i had burned out the starter,
so on the starter itself i've put my multi metre across the large connection which goes to the battery and the alternater and get 12v, but there is 3 other connections on it
the other large one is the earth to the starter from the solenoid,
the other spade one has nothing attached to it (hope its not supposed to?!)
and the other goes to a little white connector which i think must go to the ignition switch,
now in my head the one to the ignition switch should allow 12v to the solenoid when the ignition is turned to start, which allows the 12v larger current to pass through the bigger cables to the motor, but i am not getting any reading at this connection, which to me means that there is a problem further up stream maybe at the ignition switch,
however if this was the case then surely the thing would turn if i held a screwdriver over the two connections, which i have done and all i get is a spark??!!
sorry for the lengthy post but can anyone help me out as i just dont know what to do next and really want my van running again asap, just dont want to waste time and money on a new starter whaen i cant help thinking that it wont solve it???

please please help, :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update: didnt realise that the voltage from the ignition switch disapeared after a few seconds, just tried again and there is 12v there for short period of time when the key is turned, so looks like its the starter motor after all,
anyone know where i can get a cheap one?I:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got the starter off piece of pee, does anyone know if i can just buy a new solenoid? or am i best off just getting a new one complete??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts