VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just started my first conversion on a 98 t4 and am prepping ready to install a split charge system. Was look for some opinions whether to go for a system with a voltage sensing relay or ignition triggered Was leaning towards the voltage sensing relay but the more ive read the more i have confused myself. Thanks

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,636 Posts
Voltage sensing every time :)

With a good system this will also allow your starter battery to be charged from mains at the same time as the leisure.
It's also easier/neater to wire up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks was leaning towards that before confusing myself, good to hear someone reassure me, someone has mentioned i need to fit something else to prevent overcharging? Would the voltage sensing system not do this?

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Thanks was leaning towards that before confusing myself, good to hear someone reassure me, someone has mentioned i need to fit something else to prevent overcharging? Would the voltage sensing system not do this?
No idea why some one would say that. Does your starter battery over charge?

A VSR everytime as most will work both ways. So charging the leisure battery will also charge the starter battery.

So when on hook up. Both are charged. If on solar to the leisure it will also do the starter when the voltage triggers it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never even heard of overcharging the leisure battery or a starter batterymyself either, was discussing with a passer by what i was doing to the van and he came up with the overcharging. Its a big deal as its my first conversion, so when people come up with these problems it makes me question if im missing something or doing something wrong. Thought its best to get some advice of here from people who know the systems and vans etc.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A dual voltage sensitive relay, as all say above, is what you need. Three wires, one to the starter battery, one to the leisure and an earth. Thats it, job done. Put an inline fuse in each cable, 80amp at least. It really is that simple. A lot of talk complicates it with Zig units, power management systems etc. IMO they arent required. They seem to be a run on from the days of people using caravan electrics in vans. That was where the problems lay and the fires started :eek:

Fuses are your friend in the world of electics :)

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts