VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help ? I don't know the difference between a VW T4 V6 and the VW T4 VR6. I am well aware of all the TD1 ranges but I am looking at a VW T4 V6 and I don't want to be sold short - what am I missing against the VR6 ?

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
The V6 (engine code AMV or AXK) replaced the VR6 (engine code AES).

The V6 is more powerful with 204bhp compared to the VR6's 140bhp

hope that helps a little

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
:eek: Simon It's good to help A: but ....................

YOU

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
Do you know what, I had the Anorak photobucket page open to reply to such a responce from you but it seems you beat me to it LOL:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The V6 (engine code AMV or AXK) replaced the VR6 (engine code AES).

The V6 is more powerful with 204bhp compared to the VR6's 140bhp

hope that helps a little
Yep ! Just bought a V6 Multivan 24 valve head makes the V6 64 bhp more than the vr6. I love it and I havn't ever seen another V6 Multivan I would love to know how many they made ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Both engines have the same layout block wise (VR6 configuration), the difference is as stated above 12 valve and 24 valve, hence the extra horses

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
For some unkown reason VW dropped the "R" from VR6 when the used the cosworth developed 24valve cylinder head :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
I believe this was for the Americans, the VR6 doesn't appeal to the US of A "more power" market. Also the V6 was optimised for 98 octane fuel rather than the 95 octane VR6.

Only 4060 pieces were made of the Mexican built V6 compared to over German built 23,440 of the VR6.

Additionally the AMV V6 was only ever used with the Automatic gearbox, firstly because it was "geared I:" towards the American market, secondly none of the manual gearboxes on the T4 platform would have handled over 200 hp.

Due to the NA high powered engine the VR6 featured a pretty straight torque curve, powerful through the whole rev range.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
thought I would add my 2 cents and help confuse things a little bit.

I'm currently driving a 2003 VR6 MV (24v). It even has the VR6 badges on it. It is rated at 201bhp and is originally a US vehicle.

I toyed around with the idea of installing a VR6 manual transmission from a different model, but cannot figure out how to make it work due to the angle the engine sits at compared to other VR6 models.

:ILU:

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
thought I would add my 2 cents and help confuse things a little bit.

I'm currently driving a 2003 VR6 MV (24v). It even has the VR6 badges on it. It is rated at 201bhp and is originally a US vehicle.

I toyed around with the idea of installing a VR6 manual transmission from a different model, but cannot figure out how to make it work due to the angle the engine sits at compared to other VR6 models.

:ILU:
Both the VR6 and the V6 are 15° VR6 engines, the difference is in the valves.

I guess they had some VR6 badges left over for the MV models?

Interesting review from a Canadian standpoint:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2007/11/22/used-vehicle-review-volkswagen-eurovan-1992-2003.htm

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Rasp:I know have a V6 CARAVELLE P.D.Q. Far better than the TDI 2.5 I HAD BETTER TO DRIVE and only 2 to the gallon less ..
What mpg did you get from your 2.5TDi? I was getting well over 40 from our old one.
I'm not doubting you, I just hope your maths is better than your spelling and sentence structure. Rasp:Rasp:Rasp:Rasp:Rasp:

·
Registered
859 Posts
I believe this was for the Americans, the VR6 doesn't appeal to the US of A "more power" market. Also the V6 was optimised for 98 octane fuel rather than the 95 octane VR6.

Only 4060 pieces were made of the Mexican built V6 compared to over German built 23,440 of the VR6.

Additionally the AMV V6 was only ever used with the Automatic gearbox, firstly because it was "geared I:" towards the American market, secondly none of the manual gearboxes on the T4 platform would have handled over 200 hp.

Due to the NA high powered engine the VR6 featured a pretty straight torque curve, powerful through the whole rev range.
Does this mean that you can get a T4 vr6 in a manual? I have only seen the vr6 advertised for sale in auto's, I would love a manual T4 vr6 velle to convert to gas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I´ve got a VW caravelle vr6 (140 bhp) with the 5-speed manual gearbox. Im satisfied, only the gear ratio doesn´t allow you to cruise at more than 70 mph without exceeding 3000 rpm, and the 1st gear is meaningless. Barely moves the car:D
There is enough torque for a 6th gear letting you do 75 at 2000 rpm! (would hope to decrease fuel consumtion, and some noise)

Is it possible to install the new 7speed dsg in my t4?LOL:LOL:LOL:

Bigger wheel dimension will have to do i guessT:

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
I´ve got a VW caravelle vr6 (140 bhp) with the 5-speed manual gearbox. Im satisfied, only the gear ratio doesn´t allow you to cruise at more than 70 mph without exceeding 3000 rpm, and the 1st gear is meaningless. Barely moves the car:D
There is enough torque for a 6th gear letting you do 75 at 2000 rpm! (would hope to decrease fuel consumtion, and some noise)

Is it possible to install the new 7speed dsg in my t4?LOL:LOL:LOL:

Bigger wheel dimension will have to do i guessT:
5 gear upgrade, it's all the rage!!!

Great "how to" by aggie @vwconnections
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22159

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/tags.php?tag=5th+gear+upgrade

1 - 20 of 22 Posts