VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
There's no VRT to pay if its already in catagory A already, once your within a class your safe, I know because most of the vans I convert are already in this catagory, which means anything with seats already in the back apart from a crew cab with a steel bulkhead. I recently converted a van which was originally a crew cab and got to see the paper work for the reclassification after the steel bulk head was removed, the van was valued at €25000 and the VRT payed to get it into Cat A was €3,650 just to give you an idea.
cheers
Jon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Called into my local VRT office last week to see about switching my T4 panel to a camper ( to get the cheap tax and DOE exemption) as I have done this on a couple of Sprinters in the past!

Here's what I was told.....

The panelvan will never be seen as a camper in the VRT offices eyes, because they are under 3tonne and you cant stand up in them! Even a poptop doesnt count! VW Transporters will only ever be seen a a Category A vehicle!

For me to convert to category A from Commercial I need to show them the van, carry out my conversion and the they figure out a value and you pay 36% and then youve got category A status! You may then proceed to the Tax office and state you case with them as far as the tax goes so they may change your taxation class to that of a motorcaravan! - Not worth the effort in my position!!!

After quizzing the guy I eventually got the VRT guy to admit with a nudge and a wink that if you carry out the basic conversion to get category A status, e.g. fit a window or seat, then show it to the VRT office you will get it valued at the minimum price! (Do the full conversion first and they value it higer thus higher VRT) Once this is done, then you are free to do what you want, so you then go off and carry out the best camper conversion you can, and submit it to the Tax Office to so them it is a camper not a crewcab and then you'll get your cheap tax!!!

Bit of a gamble really!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
best of luck with the customs ,a lot of them dont know the rules there supposted to go by .you can put windows in van but you cant put extra seating in .then your changing the purpose of the motor.the1.8 mtr roof has to be permanent but you can put a poptop on a van ,its still a van.the import rules here are set up by idiots .i brought in a poptop van and wasnt able to class it as a camper ,and took in another tintop camper that hadnt a high roof and was able to reg it as a camper so keep your fingers crossed when you go to the revenue office to get it checked as to which idiot you get on the day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
best of luck with the customs ,a lot of them dont know the rules there supposted to go by .you can put windows in van but you cant put extra seating in .then your changing the purpose of the motor.the1.8 mtr roof has to be permanent but you can put a poptop on a van ,its still a van.the import rules here are set up by idiots .i brought in a poptop van and wasnt able to class it as a camper ,and took in another tintop camper that hadnt a high roof and was able to reg it as a camper so keep your fingers crossed when you go to the revenue office to get it checked as to which idiot you get on the day.
hi

im planing to conversion a t4 van to a camper and i wanna put a pop up roof reimo on the van and all stuff form interior with the bad as well. Is some one know how the gonna count the value vrt of the camper like that or maybe is better to make a high roof ?????

Many Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Caravelle is a category a so the vrt is already paid. Just add a high roof and take it to be tested. As far as I know the NCT centers are now looking after all inspections for the tax and vrt offices.
I just bought a T5 with side windows fitted during the week. Its still a panel van on the log book. I will have to go and see how much it will cost to convert to category a. I paid 5k.
I did find a good site http://www.vrt.ie
There is a vrt calculator but the revenue has the omsp (open market selling price) well over priced. Lots of good info on there though.
Anyone had a van done lately and give us a ball park figure?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi All, I'm a long time lurker and this is my first post on here.
I,m planning on some sort of T4 conversion/camper. Has anyone recently paid vrt from panel van to camper
now that the 1.8 metre rule is gone.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi All, I'm a long time lurker and this is my first post on here.
I,m planning on some sort of T4 conversion/camper. Has anyone recently paid vrt from panel van to camper
now that the 1.8 metre rule is gone.
It's 13.3%, once you convert from panel van to camper. A few have been through the process now.

/M

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi camperman what a small world, as you will see by my profile i am new to this site and only live about 6 mile from you, you might have seen my van going through lanesborough, limegreen t5 with blacked out windows and 18" on, by the way the actual colour is limette a genuine special order colour. what i want to ask is my van as you know has to have a d.o.e which it has but i have just had 2 windows fitted in the sides will that affect the next d.o.e and while i am at it do they hold any t4/t5 meets down here.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Hi from sunny Tyrone.

There was a meet in Athlone and you can't get more central than that.

The attendance could have been better but it was a day out. Always a good opportunity to get ideas on how to,spend even more money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys and girls
Quick question on this topic

I've just bought a 2001 transporter panel van
Plans are to fit 2 seats in the back for the kids and fit windows on both sides of it...
Will there be any issues for the M.O.T after this has been done....

I'm not looking cheaper tax and no plans to register it as a camper....more of a day van to go camping

Many thanks

41 - 55 of 55 Posts